A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A couple of T topics
A couple of T topics  [message #73310] Tue, 29 August 2017 16:15 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

First Rocklin Academy caught my eye, and then this piece. Is it satire?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A couple of T topics  [message #73315 is a reply to message #73310] Wed, 30 August 2017 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andypaz is currently offline  andypaz

Getting started

rather, like madness?
Re: A couple of T topics  [message #73320 is a reply to message #73310] Wed, 30 August 2017 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

The line between fact and satire with gender identity seems to have been blurred quite badly. The New York City Mayor's office released a document listing 31 "gender identities" officially recognized by the city, and seemed to threaten employees who failed to use the terms provided.

The document seems to have since been deleted from the Mayor's page. [ http://www.nyc.gov/html/cchr/downloads/pdf/publications/Gend erID_InterpretiveGuide_2015.pdf] However, a copy of the original list can be seen at http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax/files/8c/8c655149-74dc-4a66-a 0f8-5839c1f1c5a0.jpg

What is interesting in the list is the absence of a few terms such as "male", "female", "boy" and "girl". (Although male-to-female and female-to-male are in place.) And the "pronouns" mentioned in the article you cite are absent. He, she, heshe, shehe, etc.

How a first grader is expected to navigate the swamp is tough to imagine.
Re: A couple of T topics  [message #73328 is a reply to message #73320] Thu, 31 August 2017 11:49 Go to previous message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Quote:
ChrisR wrote on Thu, 31 August 2017 00:34
How a first grader is expected to navigate the swamp is tough to imagine.

--

I don't think kids worry about labels too much: they just relate to people as they find them! And most adults are pretty understanding about helping kids work out the label thing whenever it rears its head. I honestly don't see this as being any more complicated than religion (Evangelical, Quaker, Protestant, Catholic, Hindu, Jain, Pagan/Wiccan, Sunni, Shiite, Jewish ....), diet (omnivore, meat-eater, vegan, vegetarian, pesetcarian, fructarian, "Primitive" diet, ovo-lactarian, kosher, hallal ...) or national/ethic identity (English, Black British, London Chinese, Scottish-Italian, ...). Most of the time, people just relate to other people as individuals with individual quirks, habits, and needs: labels only come into it when there's a need to establish a personal/social identity for oneself*, or when one needs to categorise people for statistical purposes.

*my own personal/social identity for the past three and a half decades has been "out gay man", for example ... though I may reluctantly have to add "older" to that!

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Previous Topic: HIV = AIDS ?
Next Topic: "I'll Find My Way Home"
Goto Forum: