A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > A Boy's Cameo (newly posted)
A Boy's Cameo (newly posted)  [message #75796] Mon, 10 June 2019 22:33 Go to next message
Carl in Boston is currently offline  Carl in Boston

Getting started

Is this a reboot of something from the past? As I read the first 2 chapters, I got a sense of "deja vu--all over again".  There is no indication of this at the author's page, so I am confused.  Or I may be totally mistaken and imagining the familiarity.
Re: A Boy's Cameo (newly posted)  [message #75797 is a reply to message #75796] Mon, 10 June 2019 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I guess you aren't on the email announcement list?  

I put "Dominick St James has re-written A Boys Cameo in preparation for new chapters" on that.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A Boy's Cameo (newly posted)  [message #75798 is a reply to message #75797] Tue, 11 June 2019 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Please put me on your mailing list. I had written a long message explaining that I have difficulty navigating this forum, but i apparently timed out(?) before I could send it. I'm assuming that you have access to my email through my registration data.(?) Thank you, carl9804 aka Carl in Boston 9804
Re: A Boy's Cameo (newly posted)  [message #75799 is a reply to message #75796] Tue, 11 June 2019 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominick St James is currently offline  Dominick St James

Toe is in the water

"Carl in Boston 9804 wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 22:33"
Is this a reboot of something from the past? As I read the first 2 chapters, I got a sense of "deja vu--all over again".  There is no indication of this at the author's page, so I am confused.  Or I may be totally mistaken and imagining the familiarity.

Chapters 1 4 are revisions, Carl, with an added Preface/Intro to the outline of the story. Chapter 5 gets posted tomorrow and chapter 6 is underway. Otherwise it was a dead story for five months because, well... real life gets in the way sometimes, unavoidably.If you and other readers would like to e-mail me your feedback on how you're finding it, I would very much appreciate it, or in fact to hear from you in this thread, as you wish. I'm often intrigued by how readers respond to this story. I have'nt had a lot of feedback but that which I have received has been very charming and encouraging.Presently there is no ending in sight for it, but it will not be a barrel scraping exercise!

Has it been easy for me to write this story, so far? To a degree it has. I think the most important thing is, once having established the characterisations, they must be adhered to firmly. And then the general background of the West Country and Barbados, courtesy of Wikipaedia and Google maps I must maintain, though Whinscombe is fictional.The most difficult part for me is that it's in first person narrative, with dialogues of young teen boys, so I have to filter my imagination or rather interpret it to put it in text. That's not a glib and easy task to achieve as I can assure you, I'm way older than fourteen, though I've still got some testosterone left!

[Updated on: Tue, 11 June 2019 10:27]

Re: A Boy's Cameo (newly posted)  [message #75800 is a reply to message #75799] Tue, 11 June 2019 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Thank you for responding. Thank you also, for creating and sharing your story. After reading chapters 3 and 4, I had no doubt that I hd read it before. I look forward to future chapters.
Re: A Boy's Cameo (newly posted)  [message #75801 is a reply to message #75800] Tue, 11 June 2019 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominick St James is currently offline  Dominick St James

Toe is in the water

"Carl in Boston 9804 wrote on Tue, 11 June 2019 15:25"
Thank you for responding. Thank you also, for creating and sharing your story. After reading chapters 3 and 4, I had no doubt that I hd read it before. I look forward to future chapters.

It's my pleasure, Carl. Have you any opinions and suggestions to express about the story? Chapter 5 is out tomorrow, and 6 is coming well along. In it, the boys are involved in the fashion ad photo shoot, which turns out to be quite a highpoint of their Caribbean holiday.

Re: A Boy's Cameo (newly posted)  [message #75802 is a reply to message #75798] Wed, 12 June 2019 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Carl in Boston 9804 wrote on Tue, 11 June 2019 05:24"
Please put me on your mailing list. I had written a long message explaining that I have difficulty navigating this forum, but i apparently timed out(?) before I could send it. I'm assuming that you have access to my email through my registration data.(?) Thank you, carl9804 aka Carl in Boston 9804

--
I have done the first part. You will need to cofirm your wish to opt in. Please check your junk folder in case

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A Boy's Cameo (newly posted)  [message #75804 is a reply to message #75801] Wed, 12 June 2019 23:34 Go to previous message

Getting started

I'll get back to you. Suddenly my life has become much busier-not for better or worse- just unexpected.
Previous Topic: Zeek - chapter 40
Next Topic: Are there any books that turned a light on for you, perhaps an epiphany moment?
Goto Forum: