A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Surpeme Confidence is up and running
Surpeme Confidence is up and running  [message #77838] Fri, 28 May 2021 11:15 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

An interesting set of tales in Supreme Confidence. I find it a very odd, slightly creepy picture, which is why I chose it. It's inspired five tales. Have they all found the picture has a hidden creepiness?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Surpeme Confidence is up and running  [message #77839 is a reply to message #77838] Sat, 29 May 2021 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Pedro has done it again, adding to the rich set of themes in The Challenge That is Tony with Zander?.

Of the 32 challenges to date Pedro had had an entry in 21 of them. Not ony that, but each entry  is high quality writing and greatly entertaining.

That is 21 out  of 32. That may be a record! It's one heck of an achievement.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Surpeme Confidence is up and running  [message #77840 is a reply to message #77839] Sat, 29 May 2021 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

That does not detract form the other entries, of course it doesn't.

Re: Surpeme Confidence is up and running  [message #77841 is a reply to message #77839] Sun, 30 May 2021 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pedro

Toe is in the water

Thanks for the plaudit, Timmy.

I doubt that I would have managed so many if I hadn't found my gang to link them all together. Especially Merkin. She weaves her magic when I'm otherwise struggling for a plot!

I must take this opportunity to thank my editor for the sterling work he does to ensure my scribbles are readable and prods me to clarify the confusing and elucidate when I am presuming too much of my readers. 

And, of course, I need to thank you for setting the challenges, accepting my offering and for the site in general.

What torture do you have for us next?

Pedro
Re: Surpeme Confidence is up and running  [message #77842 is a reply to message #77840] Sun, 30 May 2021 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pedro

Toe is in the water

The stories are all worth reading, although not all will be to everybody's taste - I expect some won't like mine.

Timmy, your opening section had me laughing. I'm sure I must have had similarly chaotic conversations at school although none of them were about the mechanics of sex. You gently led us to more serious places though.

Pedro
Re: Surpeme Confidence is up and running  [message #77843 is a reply to message #77842] Sun, 30 May 2021 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Pedro wrote on Sun, 30 May 2021 07:52"

Timmy, your opening section had me laughing. I'm sure I must have had similarly chaotic conversations at school although none of them were about the mechanics of sex. You gently led us to more serious places though.

--
We had a very similar conversation about the mechanics of sex. Suddenly I remembered it, and it created the tale for the picture.

Re: Surpeme Confidence is up and running  [message #77845 is a reply to message #77843] Mon, 31 May 2021 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

I thought every story was worth reading.  The story by Pedro was very well done indeed.  Each author in the challenge was able to interpret the picture differently, and produce an interesting story.

Each story was a challenge in thinking inside or outside the proverbial box.  Well done, authors.
Re: Surpeme Confidence is up and running  [message #77846 is a reply to message #77845] Mon, 31 May 2021 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Bisexual_Guy wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 03:28"
I thought every story was worth reading.  The story by Pedro was very well done indeed.  Each author in the challenge was able to interpret the picture differently, and produce an interesting story.

Each story was a challenge in thinking inside or outside the proverbial box.  Well done, authors.

--
The things I look for on the few occasions I write a challenge tale are the folowing survey questions:
  • It grabbed my attention early on
  • I identified with at least one of the cast
  • Realistic - it could have happened that way
  • Good characterisation
  • I will seek this author's work out

That doesn't mean that the other questions are not relevant, but these five tell me whether I have done my job right.  One of them is more an indicator of the audience, I identified with at least one of the cast, tells me whether my intentions were met. I may or may not want the audience to identify with the cast.

I hope for a high score on number 5, but, since my short stories are all  experimental, am not disappointed if the score is low

Number 1 tells me that the reader wanted in. It's a bit self fulfilling, because the survey is at the end, but it's the best way I can work out how to do it!

I hope very much that all participating authors find the questions and answers useful. Getting feedback at all can be hard, so this provides some decent, if impersonal, level of feedback.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 May 2021 06:59]

Re: Surpeme Confidence is up and running  [message #77847 is a reply to message #77842] Mon, 31 May 2021 19:27 Go to previous message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

"Pedro wrote on Sat, 29 May 2021 23:52"

--

I, too, was highly amused by that conversation. Have gone back to it a couple times since just to enjoy it again. 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Previous Topic: Dialog only story - Looking for thoughts.
Next Topic: Looking for an Editor, with thanks.
Goto Forum: