A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Looking for an Editor, with thanks.
Looking for an Editor, with thanks.  [message #77844] Sun, 30 May 2021 13:47 Go to next message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

Hi, any editors out there.

I am beginning a brand new novel. Moving away from previous genre's I have written, I am beginning a new project, military based.

I would really appreciate working with someone who enjoys editing. While my writing is confident, my eyes can miss some editorial nuisances.

I use a Chromebook, and Google's version of Microsoft word. I believe the copies can be converted without issue.

Writing wise I produce about 5000-8000 words a day, and I'd probably be asking for help on around 1 chapter a week, depending on what other distractions take over during the week, of which there are many.

Thank you in advance, any responses or take up would be greatly appreciated. 

James
Re: Looking for an Editor, with thanks.  [message #77848 is a reply to message #77844] Tue, 01 June 2021 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

I feel like a kid who's been in a children's home too long... Will no one take me on?

Laughing
Re: Looking for an Editor, with thanks.  [message #77849 is a reply to message #77848] Tue, 01 June 2021 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

"James Matthews wrote on Tue, 01 June 2021 01:47"
I feel like a kid who's been in a children's home too long... Will no one take me on?

Laughing

--
It's OK Puppy. Somebody will eventually take you on. 😁
Re: Looking for an Editor, with thanks.  [message #77852 is a reply to message #77849] Wed, 02 June 2021 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Editors can be hard to come by. I lucked out in that after asking a plethora of folk one agreed, and I still manage to f**k stuff up after she does her excellent work! 

I've done some editing work but would describe myself more as a beta reader than an editor. I can usually detect most spelling and grammar errors but can get lost in the finer technicalities of the English language that add much to the story when done correctly and detract from it when done roughly. I'm fairly adept detecting inconsistencies in a story line or timeline as well as ferreting out those annoying places where the author's intent is unclear or muddled.

A person seeking either an editor or beta reader needs to be willing to expose their work to constructive feedback. Minus that willingness the relationship between editor and authtor will fail.

If a true editor is what you're seeking then I'm def not your guy but if a beta reader, someone to cull out the most glaring typos, misspellings, and other inconsitencies will be satisfactory then let's talk? 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Looking for an Editor, with thanks.  [message #77853 is a reply to message #77852] Wed, 02 June 2021 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Judging by copy James has sent me and which I have corrected typos in, I think he looks for the beta reader/typo squelcher kind of help

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Looking for an Editor, with thanks.  [message #77858 is a reply to message #77853] Sun, 06 June 2021 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

I've been saved. Cole is helping me out with my latest project. It's a relationship that has got off to a fine start :) 

Thank you for the replies Smile
Re: Looking for an Editor, with thanks.  [message #77859 is a reply to message #77858] Mon, 07 June 2021 00:26 Go to previous message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

"James Matthews wrote on Sun, 06 June 2021 13:20"
I've been saved. Cole is helping me out with my latest project.

--
Awesome! 😀

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Previous Topic: Surpeme Confidence is up and running
Next Topic: Never judge a book by its cover?
Goto Forum: