A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Corvus Puer - Writing Challenge
Corvus Puer - Writing Challenge  [message #78340] Sat, 14 May 2022 19:44 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Corvus Puer is the title of the next challenge

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Corvus Puer - Writing Challenge  [message #78341 is a reply to message #78340] Sat, 14 May 2022 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

"Raven Boy". This one looks like it has a lot of sci-fi potential.
Re: Corvus Puer - Writing Challenge  [message #78355 is a reply to message #78340] Tue, 21 June 2022 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

That is a stellar prompt, Tim. Love it!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats." - Albert Schweitzer

It's like Mad Max out here: guys doing guys, girls doing girls, girls turning into guys and doing girls that used to do girls and guys!
- from Alex Truelove
Re: Corvus Puer - Writing Challenge  [message #78359 is a reply to message #78355] Wed, 06 July 2022 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

For those of you that read the "Corvus puer" stories, first off - hats off to Pedro for his very good rendition in his series that incorporated this rather unusual visual challenge! Also for the "homage" he paid to Edgar Allan Poe's poem "The Raven" which was indirectly referenced in my story, and which may have been a help for non-Americans who are not familiar with Poe's poem.

For those of you who were intrigued by or interested in the early historical part of the "Evermore" story, namely the anti-sodomy rage that ended the life and reign of a King of England and destroyed Bran's first young love, that is historically accurate. That was Edward II, who ruled from 1307 to 1327, and who was killed by his own nobility. He was succeeded by his son Edward III who ruled from 1327 to 1377, and was much more tolerant and also a much more effective ruler!

As it turned out, shortly after sending "Evermore" off to Timmy I came across another gay coming-of-age love story set in the early years of the reign of Edward III. It's called "The Scottish Boy" and is available on Amazon (in paperback and Kindle) and a good read. Lots of well researched history and requited love (!!) that fans of historical fiction should like.

The Amazon link is:  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the+scottish+boy&i=stripbooks &crid=1I6SBM6F7GB53&sprefix=The+Scottish+Boy%2Cstrip books%2C575&ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_16_ts-doa-p

And, any comments about "Evermore" are welcome. This was my first fantasy/metaphysical/occult story, so as with all authors venturing into new territory... !?!?!?!?

[Updated on: Wed, 06 July 2022 02:14]

Bensiamin
Re: Corvus Puer - Writing Challenge  [message #78360 is a reply to message #78359] Wed, 06 July 2022 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You mean religion isn't fantasy or metaphysical?

There is a memorial to Piers Gaveston that I have been to see. It is well hidden though. A mate who was building the nearby major road found it and led us on an expedition there in the seventies

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Corvus Puer - Writing Challenge  [message #78362 is a reply to message #78359] Thu, 07 July 2022 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pedro

Toe is in the water

Bensiamin: I did enjoy your foray into the metaphysical and mythology. Nicely done, thank you. I picked up on your nod to Poe and therefore the link to your title. I also liked your references to the Mabinogion. It's a very long time since I read it (in English translation, I confess), perhaps it is time to dig out my copy and re-read.

Thanks also for kind comments about my story. I'm afraid I failed in my intent to reference all the UK corvids in the story - I forgot to mention the jay.

Edward 11. : There is a school of thought that suggests the Barons would have happily overlooked Edward's homosexuality had he been generally better at ruling, not made an enemy of his wife and more specifically not given undue preferment to Gaveston, who then rubbed the Barons' noses in it. I guess Gaveston was one of those nasty vindictive queens. 

Digressing only slightly: ifyou like ballet and get the chance to see a production of the ballet Edward 11, go see it. But don't take the kids!

Pedro
Re: Corvus Puer - Writing Challenge  [message #78397 is a reply to message #78362] Mon, 31 October 2022 17:58 Go to previous message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

These were good stories.  Of those, Pedro wrote my favorite, but both showed great imagination.  Well worth reading the stories in the challenge.
Previous Topic: lomax61 (AKA Brian Lancaster), author
Next Topic: Halloween Stories 2022
Goto Forum: