A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Pig-Boy and the Insectorator
Pig-Boy and the Insectorator   [message #78384] Fri, 16 September 2022 19:27 Go to next message
Jade is currently offline  Jade

Getting started

Hello Biff,

I'm loving this story, it's almost like it's new to me again, with the subtle changes you've made since the last time I saw a draft.

I'm glad to see you publishing.  I know you're a perfectionist, so I am confident it IS perfect now!

Looking forward to more!

Jade
Re: Pig-Boy and the Insectorator   [message #78385 is a reply to message #78384] Sun, 18 September 2022 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

I'm reading this story for the first time. Enjoying it so far. I like the hint of magic and fantasy being introduced.
Re: Pig-Boy and the Insectorator   [message #78386 is a reply to message #78385] Sun, 18 September 2022 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JackLynch is currently offline  JackLynch

Getting started

I'm enjoying this story. Well written, easy to understand and relate to, nicely developed characters.
Re: Pig-Boy and the Insectorator   [message #78387 is a reply to message #78384] Sun, 18 September 2022 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

When Biff sent it to me I called it a fable.  He hadn't thought of it, but agreed at once. There is surprisingly little suspension of disbelief required, like all good writing. It really could happen that way... I think!

As for Biff's main theme, he has made me think. Each time I read stories on this broad theme, I think a little more. That's not quite all it takes, but it's a start.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 September 2022 17:39]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Pig-Boy and the Insectorator   [message #78388 is a reply to message #78387] Sun, 18 September 2022 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Biff Spork is currently offline  Biff Spork

Getting started

@Jade - Thanks for your kind remarks about "Pig-Boy and The Insectorator." Much of whatever is good in the tale can be  credited to the suggestions of my perceptive and patient editors, notably yourself, Nigel Gordon and James Keogh. Peter Chastain, Merkin, and Earth-boy also shared valuable insights as the story developed. 

@luvtwinks - I'm happy you're enjoying the magic and fantasy in the story. I've always wanted to inject a little of the supernatural in my stories, but this is the first time I've allowed myself to push beyond the borders of our normal, mundane reality. 

@JackLynch - Thanks. I'm glad you're finding the story readable. I hope you will stick with it to the end (29 chapters). I had a lot of fun writing it and a lot of help preparing it for publication here.

@Timmy - Thanks for your comment - Although I knew I was moving into the supernatural I always tried to keep it as close to normal as possible so as to enable that 'suspension of disbelief.'

To all the above readers, thanks for taking the time to let me know you are enjoying this story. It means a lot.Biff

[Updated on: Sun, 18 September 2022 18:20]

Consider becoming vegan. It's good for your health. It's kind and respectful to other animals. It's a good way to make an individual gesture towards averting the climate crisis. It's easy - if a lazy degenerate like me can do it, anyone can.
Re: Pig-Boy and the Insectorator   [message #78390 is a reply to message #78384] Sun, 25 September 2022 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

I've just read chapter 6 and remembering how much I liked this story when I was lending my (limited) editorial help.

I think Timmy is right, the best way to understand this story is to accept it as a fable.

But it's a fable with a lot of fully realized characters and character development, plus an overarching plot that is transcendent.

I'm loving being able to get to know David and Zhiv again.
Re: Pig-Boy and the Insectorator   [message #78394 is a reply to message #78384] Thu, 06 October 2022 01:10 Go to previous message

Getting started

The contrast between the relationship between Jude and River on the one hand vs. Zhiv and David on the other reveals so much about the characters.

Whereas Zhiv and David are truly discovering love, Jude and River are little more than suck buddies and partners in (literal) crime.

The scene in the gravel pit was wrenching with Jude's wanton cruelty, and River's reluctance (but not enough to do more than raise verbal objections while remaining an accomplice.
Previous Topic: The Third Clue: A Pacha'ka Adventure, by Geron Kees
Next Topic: Sean English
Goto Forum: