A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Thru the Storm
Thru the Storm  [message #78471] Tue, 14 February 2023 08:34 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

There are some things I need to understand.  In chapter 3 we have an American mother aologising for having "only" English Breakfast Tea, and suggesting that it can be had with cream or sugar.

Two strange cultural things here. Cream is one.  We use milk. and the two aren't alternatives, becauise you can have milk and/or sugar. People drink it black. By no means many drink it black, but people do.

Teabags I understand, and yes, they are far better in a teapot because the water has room to circulate, but does the USA not have loose tea?

And what is odd about English Breakfast Tea that requires apology?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Thru the Storm  [message #78472 is a reply to message #78471] Tue, 14 February 2023 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joecasey is currently offline  joecasey

Toe is in the water

Given the story's Portland/Pacific Northwest setting, the author should have gone for the obvious hot beverage of choice and have the mother offer everyone coffee. No mucking about with tea bags or loose tea or wet bags or drips, and Bob's your uncle.
Re: Thru the Storm  [message #78473 is a reply to message #78471] Wed, 15 February 2023 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

Welcome to America where English Breakfast Tea is sold in the tea section of every supermarket, usually right next to Constant Comment (tea with orange rind flavoring). Americans who drink tea are quite removed from the British practice. My own grandmother (from Liverpool) always used a teapot, and insisted it had to be rinsed with boiling water before the tea was brewed in it. However, by the end of her life, finding loose tea was nigh impossible and she had to settle for tea bags in a pot. She was never happy about that. Additionally, Americans generally have their tea like they have their coffee: straight or with cream (usually half and half) and sugar is optional. Like I said, welcome to America!

Bensiamin
Re: Thru the Storm  [message #78474 is a reply to message #78473] Wed, 15 February 2023 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

It is getting much more difficult to find loose leaf tea in the United States unless it is ordered off of the Internet.

When I was in college in the 1970s, one of my history professors often traveled to London during vacations.  She said tea available in the UK was far superior to tea available in the USA, and many more varieties were available.  BUT, she said, the variety, selection, and freshness of coffee was better in the States.

Now there is much more variety of tea in the States than at that time.  I am allergic to all coffees, so am no judge of coffee.  As to the quality issue, I cannot say on tea, because I have only traveled in the USA and Mexico.  What little I have heard from friends in recent years indicates that tea in the UK is still superior in quality.

Bensiaman has another good story in "Thru the Storm."
Re: Thru the Storm  [message #78475 is a reply to message #78473] Thu, 16 February 2023 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Bensiamin wrote on Wed, 15 February 2023 01:59"
Welcome to America where English Breakfast Tea is sold in the tea section of every supermarket, usually right next to Constant Comment (tea with orange rind flavoring). Americans who drink tea are quite removed from the British practice. My own grandmother (from Liverpool) always used a teapot, and insisted it had to be rinsed with boiling water before the tea was brewed in it. However, by the end of her life, finding loose tea was nigh impossible and she had to settle for tea bags in a pot. She was never happy about that. Additionally, Americans generally have their tea like they have their coffee: straight or with cream (usually half and half) and sugar is optional. Like I said, welcome to America!

--
The cream sounds disgustingly thick. I have no iea what half-and-half is. So no wonder US folks find tra less appealing than coffee. But why the apology?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Thru the Storm  [message #78476 is a reply to message #78475] Thu, 16 February 2023 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Thu, 16 February 2023 08:37"

"Bensiamin wrote on Wed, 15 February 2023 01:59"

--
The cream sounds disgustingly thick. I have no iea what half-and-half is. So no wonder US folks find tra less appealing than coffee. But why the apology?

--
I suspect it is an expression that only has meaning to Americans, but the answer to your first question can be found here:

What Is Half-and-Half and What's a Good Substitute? (allrecipes.com)

Re: Thru the Storm  [message #78477 is a reply to message #78476] Thu, 16 February 2023 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"ivor slipper wrote on Thu, 16 February 2023 09:45"
I suspect it is an expression that only has meaning to Americans, but the answer to your first question can be found here:

What Is Half-and-Half and What's a Good Substitute? (allrecipes.com)

--
No-one wants that in their tea!

Re: Thru the Storm  [message #78478 is a reply to message #78472] Thu, 16 February 2023 15:28 Go to previous message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

Actually, Joe, to carry your comment to its logical conclusion about the Pacific Northwest, Liam's mother could have served chai tea. However, fewer people would understand that than would tea made in a pot. The point was an alternative to coffee with a personal twist. I suppose she could have offered seltzer water in a champagne flute. But, it being winter she wanted something hot.

Bensiamin
Previous Topic: Life the Universe and Everything
Next Topic: The Right Genes, by Nigel Gordon
Goto Forum: