A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Case of the Short Short Prince
The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78551] Mon, 31 July 2023 07:57 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quite a saga, quite an author, Geron has delivered us an oddysey in The Case of the Short Short Prince. Who knew what a todger, rendered tiny, would lead to, and with the master mage away?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78553 is a reply to message #78551] Mon, 31 July 2023 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Mon, 31 July 2023 07:57"
Quite a saga, quite an author, Geron has delivered us an oddysey in The Case of the Short Short Prince. Who knew what a todger, rendered tiny, would lead to, and with the master mage away?

--Considering that the original premise for this tale arose from a joking conversation between the two of us, some credit goes to you, too! Smile

I just never thought it would take so long to write!
Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78558 is a reply to message #78551] Wed, 02 August 2023 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

I'm only on chapter 6, but I'm enjoying it so far. But I always enjoy Geron's tales.

on a side note, I'm reminded of this 90's song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcrexKS8kxA
Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78566 is a reply to message #78558] Fri, 04 August 2023 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"luvtwinks wrote on Wed, 02 August 2023 04:45"
I'm only on chapter 6, but I'm enjoying it so far. But I always enjoy Geron's tales.

on a side note, I'm reminded of this 90's song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcrexKS8kxA

--I hope the story is better than that song! Smile

Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78570 is a reply to message #78566] Sat, 05 August 2023 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

"Geron Kees wrote on Fri, 04 August 2023 14:54"

--Yes Geron. The story is much better than the song! 😁
Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78572 is a reply to message #78570] Sat, 05 August 2023 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"luvtwinks wrote on Sat, 05 August 2023 03:53"

"Geron Kees wrote on Fri, 04 August 2023 14:54"

--Yes Geron. The story is much better than the song! 😁

--Kind of you to say so, anyway! Smile

icon14.gif Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78578 is a reply to message #78551] Tue, 08 August 2023 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul is currently offline  Paul

Getting started

I am always up-to-date, along with the entire ranch! We discuss it almost every time a new chapter is posted. Timmy will tell you I have even gone so far as to pester him when a chapter went unposted due to one of his writing contest events. You should have been here to hear all the caterwhalling! 20 kids and 8 adults can make a lot of noise! Since I'm the conduit to many sites and authors, they blame me when something goes amiss.

We have consumed all of Geron's stories, and when I say consumed, I mean each is read multiple times!

Thank you Geron.

Paul
Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78579 is a reply to message #78578] Wed, 09 August 2023 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"Paul wrote on Tue, 08 August 2023 18:21"
I am always up-to-date, along with the entire ranch! We discuss it almost every time a new chapter is posted. Timmy will tell you I have even gone so far as to pester him when a chapter went unposted due to one of his writing contest events. You should have been here to hear all the caterwhalling! 20 kids and 8 adults can make a lot of noise! Since I'm the conduit to many sites and authors, they blame me when something goes amiss.

We have consumed all of Geron's stories, and when I say consumed, I mean each is read multiple times!

Thank you Geron.

--Hi Paul,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the ranch'. It sounds like the story is being shared by a number of people there, though. That's quite an honor. Smile

I'm pleased that you've enjoyed my other stories, too. I do find the sharing of them the next best part, after the writing of them!

I'd love to hear more about your group there. I very much appreciate you taking the time to let me know how you feel. The 'thank you' goes both ways!

Best,
Geron

Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78588 is a reply to message #78551] Fri, 08 September 2023 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerome is currently offline  Jerome

Getting started

Since I discovered Iomfats some years ago I have gratefully read a great many of the stories posted by writers. We each have our own tastes, and many are to my liking others less. Many, not all, are very well written with a true captivating story to them.
On several occasions I wrote to the writer to thank them and express how their story touched me.
But never had I been struck by a story and its writer as I have been by Geron's "The Case of the Short, short Prince". This prompted me to sign on and share on the forum.
I have read all of Geron's stories and already appreciated how well they are written, their depth, their characters, how I am drawn into each story feeling I am a part of it. Although the themes of each story, its characters, are different they show his extensive breadth of knowledge, his ability to touch with ease so many fields.
"The Case of the Short Short Prince" has brought, for me, everything to a new level.
Through my now fairly long life I have read numerous books and stories, and although I am French and my mother tong is French I have a good enough English reading skills to be able to get the full story whilst skipping many words.
Not with Geron's level of writing in the Case of the Short Short Prince. Each word counts, so rich is the text with information that are key to the story.
Every sentence is a story in itself, so well built. Each word carefully chosen to carry its specific meaning and to play its part in the whole story.

I thought that even with his exceptional gift, "his Knack" it had to require much preparation work to build and structure his book, as the story, the adventure, develop line after line, so carefully and seamlessly designed, then written to such an exceptional perfection.
But I was astounded when Geron wrote to me that he really doesn't plan out his stories beforehand. He gets an idea, thinks about it a bit, but then he simply sits and writes it out, plotting as he goes along. He does research elements of every story as he progresses, as needed but he does not create an outline for a story, nor does he know very far ahead of time what he plans to do next. That's the fun part for him, he said. If he planned it all out and made it a job, it would not be as much fun!

I am in awe. I would make a parallel with a classical music writer who hears the orchestra playing in his head, puts the notes down on paper giving life to a masterpiece. I see Geron's different Magickal words and lines giving life to the story, each of its characters, the sounds, the light, the colors, the surroundings... I have never felt this before reading books and stories.
Reading the Case of the Short Short Prince is for me like watching a captivating movie and falling through the screen to find oneself part of the action.

To conclude my contribution, I want to share another answer Geron gave me:
"I write because I enjoy it. Sharing stories with others is part of that enjoyment, and hearing back from a reader completes the cycle. I would write even if no one read my stories; but it's so much nicer to have others come along on the journey."

Thank you Geron for sharing your Magickal gift and for who you are.
Jerome
icon7.gif Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78589 is a reply to message #78588] Fri, 08 September 2023 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Hi Jerome,

A very nice post from you, and I appreciate it very much!

I don't know what to say about writing, except that, if you have the urge to do it, you pretty much have to try. Visualizing is part of the imagination; 'write what you see' is something my creative writing instructor told me in school many years ago. So, I write what I see. I suspect that visualizing a story is important to describing it, and that if you can't see the story you're writing as if it's a movie inside your head, you should move on to something else. I tend to get close to my characters, to see them as people, and to be along with them as they move through their stories. That sense of presence transmits itself to the stories I write, it seems. You are there, because I am!

It's always nice to share a story, and then to learn that others have been able to take the same trip. That makes me feel like I have done a good job putting it down. My lack of preplanning for stories is simply the way I do it. Creating an outlne is restrictive to plotting, and I love to plot as I go. And that's about all there is to it.

Storytelling is an old trade. There are a lot of good stories out there, well-told by those that created them. This site has many fine tellers-of-tales, and I hope you will investigate them, as well.

Thanks again for the very kind message!

Beste wensen,

Geron

Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78590 is a reply to message #78589] Fri, 08 September 2023 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

I always enjoy the stories by Geron.  "Short, Short Prince" is a top Geron story, along with "The Odd, Onward Door" series and the Charlie Boone stories.

I have found the development of the character of Geert to be inspiring and interesting.  Likewise, Irik and Bastyin and Gorge have been a joy to have in ths story.  Perhaps there is a chance that those I mentioned might show up in a future story?

While I might like to see a crossover of Charlie Boone characters with the ones in this story, I do not feel it would be practical -- at least, not at this point in either series.

Well done, Geron.
Re: The Case of the Short Short Prince  [message #78591 is a reply to message #78590] Sat, 09 September 2023 03:49 Go to previous message

Likes it here

Thanks, BG. I don't know how much interest I have in writing crossover stories. I have so many different series going now that another one would stretch my available time to the limit. Plus, the universes these characters occupy are simply different. It would be a test of patience, certainly.

I will bring back the characters in Short Prince for another round, I think. They worked very well together, and I had a lot of fun with them. They certainly seemed to me to have the energy left for another tale. But I have to get a couple of Charlie Boone stories done between now and the end of the year. And, another story I have been working on needs completing. So, a Short Prince follow-up will be next year, definitely.

Always happy to hear your thoughts! Razz

Best,
Geron
Previous Topic: C. Travis Rice (aka Christopher Rice)
Next Topic: No Means No by Rob Warr
Goto Forum: