A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust
I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #59993] Sun, 06 December 2009 17:32 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It's not just disgust, it's supreme disgust.

The Anglicans are a global movement, reporting in to The Archbishop of Canterbury in England. It's quite an important sect of Christianity.. And very much associated with them is the Episcopal Church - a movement that had to break away in the USA after independence because it kind of failed to wish to sear allegiance to the British monarch. I can see their point.

Yesterday the Episcopalians voted a second gay bishop into place.

Yesterday Rowan William, Arch-Hypocrite fo Canterbury, told them in no uncertain terms to get back into line - his line. But WIlliams can't bring himself to condemn Uganda and the church there who want to go all out and kill gay folk for being gay.

Some christian, Rowan Williams is.

Read more at http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/andrewbrown/2009/dec/06/rowan-uganda-homophobia-lesbian-bishop and at http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/12/anglican-church-and-lesbian-bishop.html

It looks very much as though it is another time for gay folk to stand up for ourselves

[Updated on: Sun, 06 December 2009 17:50]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #59994 is a reply to message #59993] Sun, 06 December 2009 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

The Episcopal church has always had a strange relationship to Catholicism in the US. Unofficially Episcopalianism is divided into low church and high church. Low church is sorta protestant and High church is sort of Catholic (an episcopal church in Philly is jokingly called "Smokey Mary's due to excessive incense usage).

I went to the Episcopal Church for about 5 years, (mainly because of their choral program). I was surprised to meet the local president of the Roman Catholic Gay organization "Dignity" there. He was an Episcopalian and also was head of "Integrity", the Episcopal gay movement. Interestingly, this guy went on to become a Monk, not sure if it was Episcopalian or Anglican Franciscan.

If his leadership of Dignity was a portent of Episcopal leadership, where Episcopal influences Roman Catholic, the Pope's latest move to woo Episcopalians into his fold might have the unintended consequence of reforming Roman Catholicism in the United States.

Macky

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #59998 is a reply to message #59993] Sun, 06 December 2009 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

The Anglican (Episcopalian) Church is a strange beast. It calls itself a catholic church which means it covers everybody and everything, high amd low, and if you try to please everyone, you will end up by pleasing no one.

In England, but not in the outposts of the UK it is the established church which means it has to minister to everyone, (baptism, marriage and funeral) whether they are churchgoers or not.

In my lifetime the Archbishops of Canterbury have become increasingly weaker. Rowan Williams is a particularly weak specimen of a 'leader' and naturally the C of E has suffered from his weak leadership. Nature knows no vacuums and so lesser mortals with natural authority have led to splits. Now that there is a threat of implosion in the C of E Williams is trying to re-assert his authority and his assertion of authority is leading to panic decisions which as I said earlier please nobody.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #59999 is a reply to message #59998] Sun, 06 December 2009 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

That was the longest way of saying "Canterbury is an arse" that I've seen so far.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #60000 is a reply to message #59999] Mon, 07 December 2009 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

I quite like Canterbury. It's got a very nice cathedral.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #60001 is a reply to message #60000] Mon, 07 December 2009 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Inserting the latter in the former has great appeal, then.

Anglican Christianity is the same as usual  [message #60002 is a reply to message #60001] Mon, 07 December 2009 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Hypocrisy will serve as well
To propagate a church as zeal

And hypocrisy is inevitable in religions of the book since there is no way of changing god's mind or unwriting his word and, of course, the men who wrote the book like all men had limited foresight and made mistakes.

What I can't understand is why people go on believing any of this stuff.

And when you see cantuar squirming on the horns of the dilemma and coming down on the wrong side - well thats democracy for you as there are more anglicans to lose in Africa than in the USA. Rowan Williams can count!

Love,
Anthony
Re: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #60004 is a reply to message #59993] Mon, 07 December 2009 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

timmy wrote:
> It looks very much as though it is another time for gay folk to stand up for ourselves

We are more alone than most think.

I read recently that a VERY large amount of oil was just discovered under Uganda. Soon countries will be lining up to kiss their ass in order to get some of this oil...

Maybe US "intelligence" can discover some weapons of mass destruction being hidden in the country.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #60005 is a reply to message #60004] Mon, 07 December 2009 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Several decades ago we'd just have sent a gunboat. Sometimes I wonder whether the world has truly improved.

Re: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #60017 is a reply to message #60005] Mon, 07 December 2009 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

For those who realise where Uganda is with regards to gunboats, http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/12/world-is-more-civilised-today.html might be interesting.

Re: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #60052 is a reply to message #60017] Tue, 08 December 2009 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Somehow or other, Timmy, the first para of your blogspot entry is garbled.

And a 'right' is a power. Homosexuals ought to have rights to equal treatment but those rights aren't complete even in England today. In Uganda homosexuals have no rights.

A right is something the law and the police will support you in.

Homosexuals will never be fully equal until the christian churches and the mosques and all the rest have rewritten their holy books. The pope will never treat you or me equally, even if you join Mr Bliar's labour party (and I can't see that happening in a hurry, can you? Wink )

Love,
Anthony
Re: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust  [message #60053 is a reply to message #60052] Tue, 08 December 2009 13:55 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"This Uganda proposed and 99% certain to be passed bill to execute HIV+ gay men and to do so much more and criminalise friends and neighbours of gay men for not telling the authorities what you know about them has got me thinking." is what it says

[Updated on: Tue, 08 December 2009 13:57]

Previous Topic: tears streaming down my face ...
Next Topic: Not quite 10- years have passed ...
Goto Forum: