A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Not quite 10- years have passed ...
Not quite 10- years have passed ...  [message #60003] Mon, 07 December 2009 15:39 Go to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... since first release of a tune (followed a year later with the vidéo) from the Islandic (for want of a better term) "New Wave" band Sigur Rós entitled "Viõrar Vel Til Loftárása".

To reacquaint yourself with this seminal, and to many a defining, moment in their lives, I give you, courtesy of MCA/Fatcat/PIAS Recordings, the "Official" release, re-issued 2008 both on their web-site, and on their Channel at YouTube in both standard and HD modes:

VIÕRAR VEL TIL LOFTÁRÁSA [aka Good weather for air strikes] (Iceland, 2001, Directed by Stefán Árni Þorgeirsson and Sigurður Kjartansson, 7:05 min.)

The title of the track, released initially on the album Ágatis Byrjun in 1999, and re-issued for the vidéo on the album Svefn-g-englar in 2001 by the Islandic New Wave/Alternative post-rock band Sigur Rós, translates "Good weather for air strikes", and apparently originates from a local Islandic weatherman's penchant for declaring good weather days, during the war in Kosovo, to be ironically: "I dag viõrar vel til loftárasa" (or namely, "Today is good weather for an air strike"). Sigur Rós named the song after this pop-culture anomaly.

The visuals, and lyrics, capture the story of 2 pre-pubescent boys in a very religious 1950's era Islandic community who seemingly have decided to declare their homosexuality, coming out through their sharing a kiss during a local football match. The song if you can find a good translation (Icelandic to English) is all about their struggle and how someday they will be together.

"Viðrar vel til loftárása" which spawned both a cinematic and music industry controversy features all band members in cameo roles in the music vidéo: Jónsi is the soccer team coach, Orri is the scorekeeper, Georg is the referee, and Kjartan is one of the spectators. Moreover, the fetus design from the Ágætis byrjun album cover is shown on a bottle from which one of the boys drinks.

Production for the vidéo began in the autumn of 2001. A general casting call was held in the town of Reykjavík, Iceland, which was also the place of principal photography. Directed by Arni & Kinski, Icelandic directors Stefán Árni Þorgeirsson and Sigurður Kjartansson (Siggi Kinski), the vidéo has won an Icelandic Music Award for "Best Video" in 2002.

I remember well, how many here (and all over the World, or so it seemed) queued early into the mornings to download the vidéo from Sigur Rós's web-site (these were back in the day of likely at best 56 Kbps and at worst 28 Kbps dial-up connectivity, with broadband only a dream for the majority of us) shortly after its' release.

I remember too, the controversy that ensued, and the well-spring of support the band received from the gay fraternity.

----------

Man oh man, that kiss!

I have to wonder some, and I ramble here (I've been doing a lot of that lately, haven't I?), why something so innocent, so tender, so giving ... could have caused so much grief in the hearts and minds of so many world-wide?

There have been many others too, both before, and since. These too helped define who we are as a society, a culture and a "special-interest" group. Likely the most famous of these being when Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal puckered up and took that fateful first plunge in 2005's "Brokeback Mountain".

Before that were Jamie and Ste, from the 1994's "Beautiful Thing" cavorting in the Thamesmeade Wood with their almost surreal coupling; not to mention, that loving embrace captured (and frozen for all-time as the credits rolled) in all its' heart-stopping splendor in the final moments of the film when they take one another in their arms and very publicly dance to the sultry tune-smithing of Mama Cass and her rendition of the 1930's show-tune "Dream A Little Dream Of Me".

Then too, we'd enjoyed Ben Silverstone and Brad Gorton swapping saliva and swimming tips in 1998's "Get Real"; and Steve Bell and Ian Rose sharing oh so much more than lib-balm bent over that punt riverside in one of the most candid portrayals of the ultimate surrender given truly out of love seen either before or since in 1998's "Like It Is".

Have you been, or are you, affected by such imagery?

----------

Lastly, for nostalgia buffs, another of those truly defining, and most memorable, cinematic moments simply has to be the pairing of Montgomery Clift and John Ireland as wranglers in 1948's "Red River", which although not considered to be even remotely homosexual, their "That's a good looking gun you were about to use back there, can I see it? ... Maybe you'd like to see mine?" scene, plainly crackles with overt sexuality and testosterone.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Mon, 07 December 2009 15:43]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Not quite 10- years have passed ...  [message #60006 is a reply to message #60003] Mon, 07 December 2009 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

the lyrics are at http://lyrics.wikia.com/Sigur_Rós:Viðrar_Vel_Til_Loftárása

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Not quite 10- years have passed ...  [message #60022 is a reply to message #60003] Mon, 07 December 2009 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

Then there is the 1994 Academy Award®-winning short film, Trevor, a comedy/drama about a gay 13-year-old boy who, when rejected by friends because of his sexuality, makes an attempt to take his life. The Trevor Project became a reality due to the popularity of this film. For those unfamiliar with it, the Trevor Project is the 24 hour hotline for despondent gay youth and is the number posted in my signature.

There have been a number of gay 'coming out films' in the last few years. And I thank God for them because they help the young people who watch them realize that they aren't alone in their feelings and desires. I just wish these films had been available when I was a youngster so that my own self image would not have been so badly marred.

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: Trevor  [message #60023 is a reply to message #60022] Mon, 07 December 2009 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beholden is currently offline  Beholden

Toe is in the water

Hehe, that Film looks really good.

...night has brought to those who sleep, only dreams they cannot keep...
Re: Not quite 10- years have passed ...  [message #60025 is a reply to message #60022] Mon, 07 December 2009 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm struggling to remember the name of the film, this year's film, made by a director in Northern Ireland, featuring a kid for whom being gay is a terrible secret. It won a prestigious award and is about 12 minutes long.

There is a youtube clip of it, but it shows the worst parts of the film, including the boy being picked up in a public toilet, sensational, but not the real topic of the film at all.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Not quite 10- years have passed ...  [message #60027 is a reply to message #60025] Mon, 07 December 2009 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Got it! James, by Connor Clements.

I"ve seen the entire piece and it's quietly impressive. Brody reviewed it here: http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/12/world-is-more-civilised-today.html and I find . now I know its name, that I mentioned it here a while back: http://tinyurl.com/yfbbxq2

[Updated on: Mon, 07 December 2009 20:12]

Re: Not quite 10- years have passed ...  [message #60028 is a reply to message #60027] Mon, 07 December 2009 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beholden is currently offline  Beholden

Toe is in the water

Wow, (Confused??) that kind of upset me. Sad

...night has brought to those who sleep, only dreams they cannot keep...
Re: Not quite 10- years have passed ...  [message #60029 is a reply to message #60028] Mon, 07 December 2009 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The clip is by no means the message in the movie. There is a lot more to it than that. I think they chose the wrong part as a clip.

Re: Not quite 10- years have passed ...  [message #60050 is a reply to message #60003] Tue, 08 December 2009 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Yes, Warren, it turns me inside out.
From Jonsi of Sigur Ros  [message #60054 is a reply to message #60003] Tue, 08 December 2009 14:41 Go to previous message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Here’s one by Jonsi the lead singer for Sigur Ros, He and his partner Alex are of course Riceboy Sleeps and Jonsi has launched solo works though I think Alex is always there with him it’s great to se a successful Gay couple out there in a high profile position, I wish them safety and success!

Here’s an early track from Jonsi’s new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZy8hKeVfA&feature=sub

I want to be a lilikoi-boy-lilikoi
You grind your claws, you howl, you growl unafraid of all colour
You run, you're free, you climb and dress trees - You reignite
You growl, you howl, you show your teeth
You bite, it's alright

Go, say no more, use your eyes, the world goes and flutters by
Use your eyes, you'll know you are
Use your eyes, the world goes and flutters by
Use your eyes, you'll know you are

Why me, my boy, you burn so bright, do you illuminate?
One day you're out, you give up the fight, you slow down heart-rate

We all grow old, use your life, the world goes and flutters by
Use your life, you'll know you are
Use your life, the world goes and flutters by
Use your life, you'll know you are

Electricity wires are down, rainbow colours fade into brown
I dreamt you were smiling, shifting for good
Courageous boy, now you are gone
And run past the years, no place to go
Your spirit is grand, so life goes on
You are....... (light)
You are....... (light)

I want to be a lilikoi-boy, you...
You grind your claws, you howl, you growl, unafraid of all colour

Electricity wires are down, rainbow colours fade into brown
I dreamt you were smiling, shifting for good
Courageous boy, now you are gone
You run past the years, no place to go
Your spirit is grand, so life goes on
You are....... (light)
You are....... (light)

BTW Lilikoi is a type of pasion fruit;-D

[Updated on: Tue, 08 December 2009 14:53]

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Previous Topic: I am watching Anglican Christianity with disgust
Next Topic: A friend sent me this....Um, ah, well, take a look.......
Goto Forum: