A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day
icon3.gif Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #64369] Fri, 15 October 2010 23:20 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Have a look at http://goo.gl/fb/65LiL

Dan Savage cannot do it all. He's started it, let's help him spread the word. Use every suitable forum and group you are part of. These videos need to be recognised all over the place.

If you have a blog, pick a random video, watch it to check for quality, and embed it. The ones here are not the only ones. There are different and increasing picks of the day here: http://tinyurl.com/2cyzf9g

Find one you like but have no blog, Paste the EMBED code into a post here. Say why you like it, if you like, or not if not.

I'm about to put a random pick of the day under this. We don't need to stick to one! And it doesn't just need to be me doing this. Don't forget to LIKE each video on Youtube when you are sure it's the one you want to embed.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 October 2010 14:46]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #64370 is a reply to message #64369] Sat, 16 October 2010 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Chris Colfer of Glee

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64373 is a reply to message #64369] Sat, 16 October 2010 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64379 is a reply to message #64369] Sat, 16 October 2010 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64384 is a reply to message #64369] Sun, 17 October 2010 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Seriously, is it just my role to do this?

icon14.gif Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64385 is a reply to message #64384] Sun, 17 October 2010 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque (Bethesda, Maryland) OCT 16 | Governor David Patterson, himself a victim of bullies while growing up and going to school, talks about his experiences as a visually impaired African-American attending public schools. According to the Governor, he suffered from being bullied starting as far back as Kindergarten all the way through to high school, at one point the Governor wryly notes:

“On one occasion, I got so frustrated with the teachers and the people running the playgrounds, or whoever they were, not doing anything about it, that I hit a kid in the face with a lunchbox,” says Paterson, “And you know something? Even 40 years later, I’m not sorry.”

Last month, Governor Patterson signed New York's Dignity for All Students Act, a trans-inclusive measure, the first of its kind in New York. During the signing ceremony he said:

"Every student has the right to a safe and civil educational environment, but far too often young people are ruthlessly targeted by bullies," Paterson said. "Bullying and harassment have disrupted the education of too many young people, and we in government have a responsibility to do our part to create learning environments that help our children prosper. I am proud to sign this bill into law as it will help ensure that students are protected from harassment, discrimination and bullying at school grounds and at school functions."
Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64391 is a reply to message #64384] Mon, 18 October 2010 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64397 is a reply to message #64369] Mon, 18 October 2010 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

There are videos without number.

Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64398 is a reply to message #64397] Mon, 18 October 2010 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benji is currently offline  Benji

Likes it here

Thanks Timmy, that was a great one!
It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64406 is a reply to message #64369] Tue, 19 October 2010 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

And more are at http://tinyurl.com/2cyzf9g a resource that grows by at least one video each day

Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64418 is a reply to message #64406] Wed, 20 October 2010 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64426 is a reply to message #64369] Thu, 21 October 2010 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64441 is a reply to message #64426] Fri, 22 October 2010 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aqualino is currently offline  aqualino

Likes it here

Timmy, I may not have posted one of my favourite videos but I did become so inspired and even brought to tears as I watched literally hundres of them. I still can't believe the number of prominent celebrities and politicians that are adding their own voices to our cause. I was truly rivited to my comp screen for hours at a time.

marco

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. Washington Irving
Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64443 is a reply to message #64441] Fri, 22 October 2010 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The big thing is not the celebrities, though. They are good, but ever present. What is excellent is the little people.

It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64444 is a reply to message #64369] Fri, 22 October 2010 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This one is from a straight guy.

Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64445 is a reply to message #64443] Fri, 22 October 2010 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Timmy, those that were made by the little people were the ones that I watched and were the ones that made tears stream down my face. I agree, the celebs that are making them are doing 'good' work but that the real impact is felt when hearing from others who went thru the same things that the target audiences' are going thru right now. Those messages are the most comforting to these tortured (both mentally and physically) kids.

marco

ps. You, are also doing great work by promoting this project here.

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. Washington Irving
Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64446 is a reply to message #64445] Fri, 22 October 2010 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the celebs, Mrs Clinton, Mr Obama, etc. They add value. But the greatest value is people like us,

Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64447 is a reply to message #64446] Fri, 22 October 2010 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I very much agree. Funny that, it's always we little people who bring about the most change in society and our elected officials are utterly useless and are abhorrent to change, no matter how small. Maybe someday, the will of the people (well, the sane ones, anyway) will win out over the voices of the self rightious bigots. At least you and others like you are doing your best to bring about change. I was brought up to believe that 'every little bit helps' and the likes of you, Brody, Warren and the many others here who are helping, live up to that old saying.

marco

Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64448 is a reply to message #64446] Fri, 22 October 2010 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Obama's moved me a little.

As much as it's a platitude it's more than he's done for most of the rest of his time in office.

And there seemed to be at least a spark of sincerity in it, too.

What matters more to me, though is a politician is showing leadership.

I don't think it's something a poll driven politician would be doing. Obama's standing up against the status quo, at least to a small degree.

I'm still pretty cynical- unless Obama acts on gay marriage it's basically just a platitude. But it did move me a little.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64450 is a reply to message #64444] Sat, 23 October 2010 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

Now that's a great video!

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64453 is a reply to message #64369] Sat, 23 October 2010 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

So many...

I wish this had been here when I was a kid.

It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64461 is a reply to message #64369] Sun, 24 October 2010 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Interesting opening

Guys, we don't just have to have one pick of the day. This one is just MY pick of the day

icon14.gif Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64463 is a reply to message #64453] Mon, 25 October 2010 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

I wholeheartedly agree with you Timmy! These are awesome.

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64471 is a reply to message #64369] Mon, 25 October 2010 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The variety is enormous.

icon6.gif It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64478 is a reply to message #64369] Tue, 26 October 2010 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I've just been told that this one may be used http://www.pureradio.org.uk/total-access--under-the-rainbow.html as the soundtrack, obviously.

icon6.gif Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64504 is a reply to message #64478] Wed, 27 October 2010 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M is currently offline  M

Likes it here

This has been my favorite one so far <3
Very well done timmy.

I like it because you mentioned something all the other ones don't explicitly mention, although the message is still there, in that it gets better when you finally accept who you are. Sometimes it doesn't get better after high school or college. One thing is for sure, the sooner people accept who they are, the sooner it will get better, and that is the most amazing feeling.

Thank you for sharing your story.

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64506 is a reply to message #64504] Wed, 27 October 2010 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It is simply what I believe.

It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64507 is a reply to message #64369] Wed, 27 October 2010 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This one makes you think really hard.

icon7.gif Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64508 is a reply to message #64507] Wed, 27 October 2010 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

That was really sweet, what a wonderful presentation for the deaf LBGT kids out there. Their road in life is even harder, It Gets Better very much applies to them.

As a gay community we are diverse, this is just another example. I hope all the gay boys at Gallaudet University (an institution designed for deaf students) in DC get to see this.

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/wash/dc92.htm

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2010 15:56]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64509 is a reply to message #64508] Wed, 27 October 2010 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'd like to see that one go viral.

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #64510 is a reply to message #64369] Wed, 27 October 2010 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

The AFL-CIO is one of the most powerful labor unions in the US

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #64511 is a reply to message #64510] Wed, 27 October 2010 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

That works for me. Sometimes we need to see big people as well as little Smile

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #64513 is a reply to message #64511] Wed, 27 October 2010 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

After watching so many videos today, the selling point of this one was actually the first 58 seconds of the vid. Him explaining about his experiences as a son of immigrants and the shit they had to endure was a nice segue into the problems of our LGBT youth of today. It shows his grasp of the situation and his recognition that history is repeating itself. This man's union represents working class laborers, where a great deal of the bigots come from. This was the deciding factor in my decision to post 'this' clip. This man has a heavy duty set of balls.

marco

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #64521 is a reply to message #64513] Thu, 28 October 2010 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benji is currently offline  Benji

Likes it here

Not sure if anyone posted this one yet, but it is terrific, one of the best I have heard to date. It is a bit long but worth your time. From Televangelist Oral Robert's grandson.............

[edited to embed it. Use the embed code]

[Updated on: Thu, 28 October 2010 07:52] by Moderator

It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64538 is a reply to message #64369] Thu, 28 October 2010 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Someone a little more spectacular

It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64579 is a reply to message #64369] Fri, 29 October 2010 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

How about some more, guys?

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #64589 is a reply to message #64369] Fri, 29 October 2010 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

marco

Gay and Proud

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #64590 is a reply to message #64369] Sat, 30 October 2010 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

Mark Hanson, the Presiding Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

What Christianity should be.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64608 is a reply to message #64369] Sat, 30 October 2010 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This one is interesting for being posted in April 2008.

It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #64635 is a reply to message #64369] Sun, 31 October 2010 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

A good sign

Previous Topic: Really bad icon placement on billboard in Australia
Next Topic: Ashley, our friend from another place reminds me...
Goto Forum: