A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Richie Ryan has died
Richie Ryan has died  [message #66163] Sun, 11 September 2011 17:34 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A small obituary is at http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/richie-ryan/

People may wish to leave tributes in this thread by choosing 'reply'

Remembrances in his name if you wish should be a financial contribution to a charity in your country for LGBT Youth.

His stories are a fitting memorial.

[Updated on: Sun, 11 September 2011 17:55]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Richie Ryan has died  [message #66164 is a reply to message #66163] Sun, 11 September 2011 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
azkid61 is currently offline  azkid61

Getting started

I am devastated by the news of the passing of Richie. He will be greatly missed. His story Summer heat, touched my hart greatly. I had the pleasure of many many emails back and forth
He always had such a great sense of humor. I would send him picks of the country side in the states, and seamed to love them. I wish I could send flowers. My hart go's out to his family and friends. I will miss him very much.

Wade.
icon9.gif Re: Richie Ryan has died  [message #66165 is a reply to message #66164] Sun, 11 September 2011 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roscius is currently offline  Roscius

Getting started

I have only just come across Richie Ryan's stories and have just finished the first and started the second. He was a fantastic writer using exactly the right blend of background story, character description, humour, love and sex. I'm sure he will be greatly missed by his readrers.

David Baker
Re: Richie Ryan has died  [message #66166 is a reply to message #66163] Sun, 11 September 2011 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

A sad moment, how well Richie will be missed by those who counted on his work for moments of inspiration and pleasure. I would hope that if any other works by Richie exist that we may get to see them, incomplete though they may be.

We write to be read and offer our take on life, Richie knew that quite well. Perhaps what we do is best stated by Mark Twain:

"I conceive that the right way to write a story for boys is to write so that it will not only interest boys but strongly interest any man who has ever been a boy. That immensely enlarges the audience."

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
icon9.gif Re: Richie Ryan has died  [message #66167 is a reply to message #66163] Sun, 11 September 2011 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillyButch is currently offline  BillyButch

Getting started

:'-( Let me add my sorrow at Richie Ryan's passing. Summer Heat concluded only two weeks ago, and now there shall be no more. His stories captured the exuberance, fun, and passion of youth. I, and many, many more will miss him.

Billy
Re: Richie Ryan has died  [message #66168 is a reply to message #66167] Sun, 11 September 2011 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Stunned! It can, and will, happen to any one of us, but it's always a nasty shock when it does.

I only knew Richie through his stories and a few, too few, emails but feel like i've lost a friend. We all have.

His stories will be a fitting memorial and, echoing Chris' words, i hope for more to be posted here.

Goodbye Richie and thanks!

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: Richie Ryan has died  [message #66169 is a reply to message #66163] Sun, 11 September 2011 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flyboy828 is currently offline  Flyboy828

Getting started

I read these stories chapter by chapter as they were posted years ago. I loved then earthy honesty of his writing. I have always been disappointed that he did not product more chapters on Richie, but I do appreciate his gift to us all.

Thanks Richie.

I am always saddened when we lose such as talent, but I believe that Richie's contribution along with all the other contributions to our special library help make Richie and all the others into bigger than life influences.

Religion is Bigotry's Incubator!
Richie Ryan has died  [message #66170 is a reply to message #66163] Mon, 12 September 2011 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JoeWriterMan is currently offline  JoeWriterMan

Getting started

I am saddened to learn that Richie graduated to the Big Writer's Desk.

He shall be missed.

JWM

Life is a journey. It is not a destination.
icon9.gif Re: Richie Ryan has died  [message #66171 is a reply to message #66164] Mon, 12 September 2011 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
axelsrod is currently offline  axelsrod

Getting started

I am saddened to hear of Richie's passing. I enjoyed his stories quite a bit and was looking forward to the third book about Richie, Lindy, TJ, Kevin, Kyle et al. Richie had recently told me in an email that he had ideas for the next book, he just had to find the time to write it down. Alas, that will not happen now.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind the readers of IOMFAtS stories to tell the writers when you enjoy their work. Over the years, several authors whom I admired have passed away before I could express my gratitude for their toils. Don't get into the position of being saddened by your omission or lack of time to express gratitude - you had the time and interest to read. Fortunately, I did write and thank Richie before he died.
Re: Richie Ryan has died  [message #66172 is a reply to message #66163] Tue, 13 September 2011 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricky is currently offline  Ricky

Toe is in the water

It is always a loss when we lose a creative mind. Peace to him and his family and to all the friends he leaves behind. :'-(

Wisdom does not come with age. It occurs because of it.
Re: Richie Ryan has died  [message #66173 is a reply to message #66163] Tue, 13 September 2011 15:03 Go to previous message
rllyon@gmail.com is currently offline  rllyon@gmail.com

Getting started

I had the privilege of being Richie's editor and enjoyed the great gift of his friendship for 10 years. I'd like to express my appreciation to Tim for hosting his stories and posting the notice and to the people who share in the sorrow and loss. In his writing Richie discovered a real talent and used it to find himself and to share that self with many others. What people found was a particularly honest and very descent human being. This world is a better place because he was here.
Previous Topic: It Does Get Better-- The Effects Of 'It Gets Better' Videos
Next Topic: Posted Without Comment:
Goto Forum: