A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Alex, and Trey, both by Smokr
Alex, and Trey, both by Smokr  [message #67196] Sat, 01 December 2012 12:45 Go to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

This is a bitter-sweet story that seemed very realistic to me in the way it depicts the weaknesses of human nature.
I recommend it.
Re: Trey by Smokr  [message #67198 is a reply to message #67196] Sun, 02 December 2012 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

I agree with Kitzyma... it's a nice gentle tale of the confusion that comes with coping with probably the most confusing thing that happens to us... not puberty, but the emotional consequences it brings. How we cope will mark us for life. The problem is that we don't choose our friends... they choose us. Read this one.
Re: Trey by Smokr  [message #67209 is a reply to message #67196] Tue, 04 December 2012 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Thanks for the nice words guys. TBH, I forgot I had sent Tim that story, lol. With all the reading I do here, I hardly write as much as I would like to, so I send Tim things I do manage to get done that are worth having here. Now that it's done, I'll send Tim the companion story to Trey, written from Trey's point of view of the same story. Hope you guys like it, too.

raysstories.com
Re: Trey by Smokr  [message #67214 is a reply to message #67209] Thu, 06 December 2012 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Yes, I very much liked the companion story, Alex, too.
The susceptibility to peer-pressure can be a terrible thing, especially for teenage boys.

As Trey apparently saw the true situation at the end, I'd like to think, in my own imaginary world, that at some time in the future he will make an effort to get in touch and correct the misunderstanding.

Although the stories can stand alone, IMO they are much more meaningful when read as a 'pair'. At the moment, though, there seems to be no indication on the story listing page or within the stories that they are companion pieces, so it seems possible that someone dipping into the list might not realise that the two are even more effective and affecting when read as a 'pair'. Might I suggest that, if possible, the association of the two stories could somehow be conveyed to a potential reader?

Kit
Re: Trey by Smokr  [message #67218 is a reply to message #67214] Thu, 06 December 2012 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Kitzyma wrote on Thu, 06 December 2012 08:00Yes, I very much liked the companion story, Alex, too.
The susceptibility to peer-pressure can be a terrible thing, especially for teenage boys.

As Trey apparently saw the true situation at the end, I'd like to think, in my own imaginary world, that at some time in the future he will make an effort to get in touch and correct the misunderstanding.

Although the stories can stand alone, IMO they are much more meaningful when read as a 'pair'. At the moment, though, there seems to be no indication on the story listing page or within the stories that they are companion pieces, so it seems possible that someone dipping into the list might not realise that the two are even more effective and affecting when read as a 'pair'. Might I suggest that, if possible, the association of the two stories could somehow be conveyed to a potential reader?

Kit

-Easily done

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Alex  [message #67224 is a reply to message #67196] Fri, 07 December 2012 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephen is currently offline  Stephen

Getting started

The first line of this story says it all. We've all had an experience in life that we regret,
and despite the passage of time, continues to haunt. There's no chance to undo it
or make amends. There's no way to forget it either, because you can't let it go. We only
try to learn from these events and not repeat them. Recalling them even years later still
causes pain in the heart, as if it had just happened yesterday. This story about two boys
tells of one of these moments, in a simple, unadorned manner, and cuts like a sharp knife.
Re: Alex  [message #67225 is a reply to message #67224] Fri, 07 December 2012 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Did you also read Trey, the 'companion' story?
If so, do you agree that they are more powerful taken together?
(c.f. the 'Trey' posts in this forum)

Kit
Re: Alex  [message #67229 is a reply to message #67225] Mon, 10 December 2012 08:45 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think maybe I will merge the threads Smile

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Shades of Gray
Next Topic: Christmas Stories 2012
Goto Forum: