A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I Miss The Days...
icon6.gif I Miss The Days...  [message #68053] Wed, 16 October 2013 13:55 Go to next message
Michael-Kent Dobison is currently offline  Michael-Kent Dobison

Likes it here

I really do miss the days before technology...

Now when I say technology I guess I should be a little more clear as some parts of the technological revolution have aided me in ways nothing else would have been able to. Most of the aid being in the form of a double - and successful - cornea transplant, which even by todays standards seems far-fetched ... to me at least.

What I do mean by technology is Mobile Socio-intrinsic Computing ... SOCIAL MEDIA

Mostly I suppose my comments further are aimed more so at the younger composite of our population ... BUT ... Do any of us remember what it was like before MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blogging? ... and the list goes on....

I remember my mother always trying, to no avail, to get me inside for Meals or to go out to friends or even just because it was getting cold out and maybe I should put a jumper on. Even when it was pissing with rain out I was mostly out in the good clean green world. I loved those days of nature walks and chasing butterflies.
Climbing our tremendously towering Mulberry tree so we could make jam for the bread we were baking or just lying under a cloud-mottled blue sky pointing and laughing as the clouds rushed past making dragons and fairies from air and imagination.

Instead now we struggle to get the children to speak to us, as looking away from the tablet/cell phone/mobile connector is practically paramount to treason punishable by FoMo (Fear of Missing out).
We have lunch and gather with friend only to sit on our phones looking for the next best thing...

Hold that though - Just imagine what you are missing RIGHT NOW while you sit in front of your mobile connector and intrinsically  dissect the world through your Magnifying-phone ... I mean glass Wink

That's right, shut down your PC, turn off your phone and go play in traffic, climb a tree or go Bite a dog. I'm almost certain it will be much more gratifying than point-and-click Wink

"And so the lion fell in love with the Lamb"
"What a stupid Lamb"
"What a sick, masochistic lion"
Re: I Miss The Days...  [message #68055 is a reply to message #68053] Wed, 16 October 2013 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I remember them well. I have just spent today doing something that would have cost money before it existed! I have advertised a load of gear for sale, free! I shall reward myself with a walk, now.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I Miss The Days...  [message #68059 is a reply to message #68055] Sat, 19 October 2013 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

My nephew and I talked about that this week while he was in town. We wondered if parks were empty everywhere, as the one we drove past to the store was. I saw it and said, "Wow, remember when we were kids, and we had to hope there was room on something in the park?"
He's the son of my eldest brother, and just a couple of years younger than me. I was the baby in the family, so we grew up together more as brothers than his father and I.
We had a nice talk as we bought groceries, reminiscing about the park and walking blocks to the arcade and the movies and the hobby store when he visited in the summer. We spent entire days walking from place to place, sweating through our shirts or freezing to them. Then I got another bike and we rode all the time when he was up for a visit. Wow were we active. Today I don't think kids even know how to ride bikes. Or even skateboards as much. Do you guys remember buying inner-tubes and tires for your bike? I rode mine until it literally worn down to a loosely wobbly assemblage of parts and finally got my first car. Sunburn, windburn, bike-numbed ass, and a physique I would almost kill someone to have again.
sigh
"Got some quarters? Let's ride to the arcade then check out the hobby shop!"

raysstories.com
Re: I Miss The Days...  [message #68060 is a reply to message #68059] Sat, 19 October 2013 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I live by a public park. Even in winter kids play on the very modern playground equipment, the tennis courts are in use, the grassy area, unless waterlogged (a feature of the park) is in use, too, thought that tends to be adults doing sporty things.

A feature, though, is that kids seem always to be accompanied by adults. Apparently there is a paediatrician hiding behind every bush just waiting to operate on unaccompanied kids. For that we have the news media to thank, the ones who make sales from shocking us about sex and protectiing our children from it.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I Miss The Days...  [message #68072 is a reply to message #68060] Sun, 27 October 2013 12:40 Go to previous message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Parents who live in towns are often very protective, and averse to their kids taking risks - I think it's less so in the countryside, or where there's access to it.

Certainly, where I now live in Worcester, kids are still building dens in scrubby woodland down by the canal. Where I grew up, in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds, I noticed this past summer with delight that although the old swimming place in the River Evenlode is now overgrown and weedy, the local kids have made a new one a mile away, complete with rope swings and an old inner-tube to play with.

You can see part of the blue rope of the swing in the top centre of this picture:
  • Attachment: DSCF1943.JPG
    (Size: 140.63KB, Downloaded 452 times)

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Previous Topic: Happy harvest time
Next Topic: Eldon and Jon?
Goto Forum: