A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > School bullying: French lessons
School bullying: French lessons  [message #68098] Mon, 11 November 2013 10:59 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The French has started a campaign against bullying at school. Have a look.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: School bullying: French lessons  [message #68114 is a reply to message #68098] Tue, 12 November 2013 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

I'm not sure the kids will get it, or it speaking to them at all.
The adults should get clued in, though.
It's a good way to point out how childish such things are.
Bullying does go on in the adult workplace. Maybe some adults will see themselves in the bullies from the imagery, but I doubt they would change anything about how they act now that they are adults.
I don't see it being very productive in the targeted area of schools. Leave it to the French to make and anti-bullying message almost artsy. LOL

I wish I knew some way to make a difference, but all I can do is affect my own family's youth as I can, and try to make sure they aren't either the bully or the bullied.

raysstories.com
Re: School bullying: French lessons  [message #68115 is a reply to message #68114] Tue, 12 November 2013 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Saving the future, one child at a time, my friend, that is our job.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Bullied for having red hair?  [message #68122 is a reply to message #68098] Thu, 14 November 2013 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

Just seen this...

Schoolboy, 14, hanged himself in his bedroom 'after being bullied by classmates for having red hair'

Red hair is gorgeous. How can someone be bullied for being gorgeous?

"Detective Inspector Richard Scott, from West Midlands Police, said there was not enough evidence he had been bullied by his peers.
He said: 'His school friends have told us there was teasing because he had red hair.'"

Bullies will always say they were 'just teasing'. How far does teasing have to go before it becomes bullying?
Re: Bullied for having red hair?  [message #68123 is a reply to message #68122] Thu, 14 November 2013 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Another happy, innocent, good-hearted person forced out far too early by brainless cruelty.
That is just so wrong! What's the deal? Red hair is so awesome! I don't remember ever being teased about mine, but it wasn't all that red anyway. I don't remember anyone in school being teased about red hair. It seems a Brit thing. What's with that? Ginger hate! Why isn't that a hate crime? Geeze. You only have to read a story or two of mine to find out my feelings for gingers. Or see my male beauty page, which is full of and highlights red hair.
I can only hope there are some very remorseful lads at that school, and I don't mean just the kid's friends, I mean the bullies who thought it was cool to bully for any reason, let alone for having superior genes.
It should be a misdemeanor for coloring red hair to any other color! And those who dye their hair red should be ticketed for false advertisement.
Rest easy Simon. You didn't deserve it. They were heartless, ignorant asses. And I think you were destined to be a knock-out!

raysstories.com
Re: Bullied for having red hair?  [message #68131 is a reply to message #68123] Fri, 15 November 2013 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

I totally agree with you, Smokr.  However, I don't think it's particularly a Brit thing. After all, there was an episode of South Park about ginger-hate. Also, even if it was mainly a Brit thing, I think it must be quite recent as I can't remember seeing it while I was at school. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing it in my life. So even now it must be relatively rare.

Re: Bullied for having red hair?  [message #68137 is a reply to message #68131] Sat, 16 November 2013 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Once unknown, tormenting ginger haired kids is now relatively common. When I was 12 my best friend had flaming red hair. He was never teased for it. Today boys, somehow not girls, are tormented for hair colour.

Re: Bullied for having red hair?  [message #68146 is a reply to message #68137] Sun, 17 November 2013 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Bullying gingers is a modern phenomenom - funny for everyone except the ones being targeted. Maybe it's just trendy because it's no longer acceptable to mock Blacks, Irish etc.

Anyway, it's insane - I love redheads!
Re: Bullied for having red hair?  [message #68165 is a reply to message #68146] Sun, 01 December 2013 15:19 Go to previous message
Ian John Copeland is currently offline  Ian John Copeland

Toe is in the water

Anyone who has read my novel `Scholarship' will know that one of the protagonists is a red-head (not ginger he had proper copper coloured hair which is very rare) I do not recall Sacha ever being bullied for that.

I think this 'gingerism' is a recent thing and I struggle to understand it, is it a form of racism or is it just a group of people who happen to be slightly different in a noticeable way?

Ian

Visit my Blog: http://thepaintheagony.blogspot.co.uk/
Previous Topic: Mailings and outbound email blocks
Next Topic: Tom Daley comes out
Goto Forum: