A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Mailings and outbound email blocks
Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68127] Fri, 15 November 2013 09:37 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The IP space occupied by our server has been blocklisted by Spamhaus. You may wish to look up 'Snowshoe spam" to see that someone has been compromised. The usual reaction by Spamhaus is pretty much the same as the reaction by the now allegedly defunct SPEWS 'organisation', which is to widen the spam block until the service provider takes notice and kicks off the offending site.

We only operate white hat mailing lists and opt in services to this and our other sites, so we are certain we cannot be to blame, though we have been the genuine victim of Snowshoe attacks. That is what the fake spammy registrations are in this forum and on the Mediawiki powered sites we run. We've shut the MW sites down for any changes during this blocklisting, and we have made the decision to shut right off our iom email list for the duration. Even though it is confirmed opt in and 100% compliant we don't want to get into the state of having to explain what we do over and over again to the block operators.

It really aggravates me that genuine people suffer because of the need to block the black hat operators. It affects 253 IP addresses. When we inspected who is on the IP range we see that many are not the most wonderful of sites!

[Updated on: Fri, 15 November 2013 09:40]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68128 is a reply to message #68127] Fri, 15 November 2013 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

Quote:
timmy wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 09:37
we have made the decision to shut right off our iom email list for the duration.

--

As I'm technically illiterate regarding these things, I hope I won't seem too stupid when I ask this - does this mean that there will be no email notifications of updates etc for a while?
Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68129 is a reply to message #68128] Fri, 15 November 2013 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Correct. We are keeping our heads down until this incident is solved. AT present it seems onoy to affect mail to Yahoo accounts, but it can spread. It depends who takes the blocklist service from Spamhaus.

It affects all email from this IP range, not just the mailing list.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68130 is a reply to message #68129] Fri, 15 November 2013 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

So, for example,  if I submit a story and you reply from your iomfats email address to my yahoo address then is it possible or even likely that I won't receive your reply?
Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68133 is a reply to message #68130] Sat, 16 November 2013 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephen is currently offline  Stephen

Getting started

Timmy, I don't understand the technical aspects of what is happening to the mailing list, but I'm sorry you are having this problem. I hate spammers. They are trash.
Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68134 is a reply to message #68133] Sat, 16 November 2013 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

It's unfortunately happening everywhere right at the moment; and far worse than normal.  Several other Forums which I occasionally frequent, and usually immune to this sort of crap, have also been affected.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada
Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68135 is a reply to message #68130] Sat, 16 November 2013 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Kitzyma wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 12:23So, for example,  if I submit a story and you reply from your iomfats email address to my yahoo address then is it possible or even likely that I won't receive your reply?

--
There is, at present, almost a 100% guarantee that you will not receive a reply or any email from any iomfats.org address to Yahoo. At present Yahoo is the major email provider that is affected. This included casual conversation and mailing list emails.

I say "almost" because one never knows, but the blocked range goes across an enormous range of IP addresses. Ours is trapped in the middle.

Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68136 is a reply to message #68133] Sat, 16 November 2013 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Stephen wrote on Sat, 16 November 2013 05:45"
Timmy, I don't understand the technical aspects of what is happening to the mailing list, but I'm sorry you are having this problem. I hate spammers. They are trash.

--
It isn't just to the mailing list. It affected every single email form a vast range of IP addresses. The technical aspects are these: Spamhaus has detected what is termed "Snowshoe spam" that is coming initially from a compromised server within the IP range. It creates a list of IP addresses that it blocks, but it does not, itself, perform the block. People subscribe to its block list and pay Spamhaus a subscription to do so. They then use its list to implement their own blocks. Yahoo is one such service provider who subscribes.

Spamhaus doesn't respond to webmasters, only to hosting corporations. Their general requirement is that the offending site is kicked off their servers.

Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68138 is a reply to message #68136] Sat, 16 November 2013 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Quote:
timmy wrote on Sat, 16 November 2013 09:02
Spamhaus has detected what is termed "Snowshoe spam" that is coming initially from a compromised server within the IP range. It creates a list of IP addresses that it blocks, but it does not, itself, perform the block.

--

So it blocks a whole range of IP addresses just because one or two addresses are the source of spam?
The words 'sledgehammer' and 'nut' spring to mind.
Why don't they just block the offending address(es)?
Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68139 is a reply to message #68138] Sat, 16 November 2013 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

They do this to surround the offending IP address with loads of other people who are hostile to it. This forces the hosting provider to act because it hurts its business. Previously, when no-one cared what their neighbour was doing, no-one acted. Over time the IP blocked range spreads wider and wider to enrage more and more people.

Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68140 is a reply to message #68139] Sat, 16 November 2013 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Ahhh, bollocks. Another good reason not to use Yahoo anyway. At least its a way to shut down these spammers. Jerks.

raysstories.com
Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68144 is a reply to message #68139] Sun, 17 November 2013 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"Quote:"
timmy wrote on Sat, 16 November 2013 10:57They do this to surround the offending IP address with loads of other people who are hostile to it. This forces the hosting provider to act because it hurts its business.

--

Punishing whole groups of innocent people in order to get something done about a guilty person is immoral. It makes me think of occupying troops killing random villagers in order to get them to betray resistance fighters who come from the same village.

Actually, I wonder if it's even legal and am surprised that no one (especially in the USA) has sued. I was thinking that something like tortious interference might be applicable, if not to you iomfats but to business sites that get blocked or to the business hosting the sites.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 November 2013 11:09]

Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68150 is a reply to message #68144] Tue, 19 November 2013 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Kitzyma wrote on Sun, 17 November 2013 11:08
"Quote:"
timmy wrote on Sat, 16 November 2013 10:57They do this to surround the offending IP address with loads of other people who are hostile to it. This forces the hosting provider to act because it hurts its business.

--

Punishing whole groups of innocent people in order to get something done about a guilty person is immoral. It makes me think of occupying troops killing random villagers in order to get them to betray resistance fighters who come from the same village.

Actually, I wonder if it's even legal and am surprised that no one (especially in the USA) has sued. I was thinking that something like tortious interference might be applicable, if not to you iomfats but to business sites that get blocked or to the business hosting the sites.

--I doubt it is lawful, but those affected are alwasy small beer. Large organisations with sufficient muscle to sue have their own servers in their own datacentres. Imagine suing Yahoo? Suing Spamhaus is useless. They simply create and sell lists. Yahoo et al implement them

Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68155 is a reply to message #68150] Sat, 23 November 2013 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Our service provider has now kicked the spammers off their servers and applied for the IP range to be unblocked.

Re: Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68159 is a reply to message #68155] Wed, 27 November 2013 12:03 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

And the range is unblocked.

Previous Topic: The wisdom of crowds, and Fags and Queers
Next Topic: School bullying: French lessons
Goto Forum: