A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Apparel
Apparel  [message #68389] Sat, 15 March 2014 17:23 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

For some time I have bemoaned the loss of the clothes of the early 1970s, an era when I used to wear what would now be outrageous shirts, fanciful trousers, amazing boots, yes with pretty high heels, idiosyncratic jackets. That was normal, wholly masculine schmutter.

Today I am limited to wearing a loud tie if I want to display my peacock finery. Women, though, may wear glorious fabrics, a riot of colour. I am constrained to a smart suit or a blazer or similar, becaise it is manly, and expected.

Why can I not wear a wonderful, floaty dress, for example, and be seen to be both fine and masculine? Why have we men accepted the domination of the boss and the office job and comply with a uniform of a business suit? Even the Scots kilt is formal, and dourly conformist.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Apparel  [message #68395 is a reply to message #68389] Mon, 17 March 2014 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

I miss wearing my Doctor Who scarf and hat. I'd probably feel silly wearing it now though. But why must I? Why can't I don them and go to work or grocery shopping and not feel like an idiot?

raysstories.com
Re: Apparel  [message #68408 is a reply to message #68395] Thu, 20 March 2014 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It isn't even the wearing of things without feeling like an idiot. We have labelled people as transvestites if the decide to wear female apparel. Yet, in Sri Lanka a few years ago I was not unusual in wearing a skirt, except it is a lunghi, and it was comfortable, practical and normal garb. I have several, but see me wearing them in my small seaside town?

Men are not designed to wear trousers. We have to sort out where our dangly buts go. We are designed for skirts. Women are designed for trousers!

But I'd like to wear gorgeous fabrics, soft, satin, silk, velvet, and not be considered weird. I cold wear them in the 1970s, so why not now?

Why may men not wear stockings? They have just as much erotic purpose with boys as with girls. Take this chap:

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1665&private=0

Here he is in a frock and stockings. Yes, you may be unused to seeing it, but why can't he walk down the street like it?
  • Attachment: 007.jpg
    (Size: 44.91KB, Downloaded 1964 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 20 March 2014 14:33]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Apparel  [message #68409 is a reply to message #68408] Thu, 20 March 2014 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Equally, if a miniskirt is ok, what of this chap?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/8dfedd8dcd893c50a01f1c848b173f27/tumblr_mo3a53hpfS1rdnsmro1_500.jpg

For me he needs better socks, but he's decent, and simply eccentric; Even so  I will bet you he would be arrested walking down a city street, or fired from his job for being dressed improperly.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 March 2014 14:37]

Re: Apparel  [message #68414 is a reply to message #68409] Fri, 21 March 2014 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Now there's coincidence! One week ago, i was sitting looking at the crowd in the Saturday morning Village Market in Takaka, Golden Bay - a small 'alternative' market featuring lots of arts & crafts & organic food etc, run by the local artists/freaks/aging hippies. There was lots of long hair & dreadlocks and long flowing garments - and that was on the guys - but no bright colours anywhere. Everyone seemed to be in shades of grey and earthy browns. I wasn't much better in drab blues, but i did have a red t-shirt on.

We're definitely not as colourful as we used to be. Times have changed, but peer pressure is as strong as ever.

cheers
Re: Apparel  [message #68419 is a reply to message #68409] Sun, 23 March 2014 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

Quote:
timmy wrote on Thu, 20 March 2014 14:37Equally, if a miniskirt is ok, what of this chap?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/8dfedd8dcd893c50a01f1c848b173f27/tumblr_mo3a53hpfS1rdnsmro1_500.jpg

For me he needs better socks, but he's decent, and simply eccentric; Even so  I will bet you he would be arrested walking down a city street, or fired from his job for being dressed improperly.

--
Brrrr. Too cold. Certainly for England. I've often pondered getting a kilt, but don't think I have the legs for it.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats." - Albert Schweitzer

It's like Mad Max out here: guys doing guys, girls doing girls, girls turning into guys and doing girls that used to do girls and guys!
- from Alex Truelove
Re: Apparel  [message #68420 is a reply to message #68419] Sun, 23 March 2014 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Cold, perhaps, but the question is, what is wrong with dressing this way?

Then there is underwear  [message #68423 is a reply to message #68389] Sun, 23 March 2014 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Why can't we have pretty underwear?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj2v7pbFVx1qhh9qvo1_500.jpg

That needs a bit of a redesign, but it's cute looking. And it's infinitely preferable to 

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/109557257/FULL_RISE_BRIEF_Y_FRONT_JOCKEY_CLASSIC.jpg

Re: Apparel  [message #68424 is a reply to message #68389] Sun, 23 March 2014 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Now this is more like it!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ksvrunaBCk1qzjvvdo1_500.jpg

Re: Apparel  [message #68426 is a reply to message #68424] Mon, 24 March 2014 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

That's not fair. The white briefs are empty!
For myself, there's not much better than a well-filled pair of white briefs.

raysstories.com
Re: Apparel  [message #68428 is a reply to message #68426] Mon, 24 March 2014 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Smokr wrote on Mon, 24 March 2014 03:09That's not fair. The white briefs are empty!
For myself, there's not much better than a well-filled pair of white briefs.

--Even the awful Y Fronts? The all enveloping, waist high, saggy crotch and arse under-trouser?

Re: Apparel  [message #68443 is a reply to message #68428] Fri, 04 April 2014 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Oh, no, some briefs fit terribly, no doubts. So do some other types. But I find a nice pair of well cut tighty-whities just awesome. I'd post some examples, but I'm off to work and don't need those images in my head all day. LOL

raysstories.com
Re: Then there is underwear  [message #68457 is a reply to message #68423] Fri, 11 April 2014 13:50 Go to previous message
Ian John Copeland is currently offline  Ian John Copeland

Toe is in the water

Ah underwear, many years of furtive observation in the school changing room in the 1970s led me to develop my theory of what the best underwear to be worn by potential lovers was!  My order of preference was:
[list type=1]
  • Light yellow briefs
  • Light blue briefs
  • Dark blue etc
  • The new plaid patterned but very brief briefs that came out in that era
    What was not liked were saggy baggies (as depicted above), boxers etc.

This day and age I have a liking for the classic tighty whiteys (but they have to be tight) and for snug fitting (ie not sagging) boxer briefs as I now know they are called.  Although my penchant for light yellow still remains.

To each man, his own brief preferences!

Ian

[Updated on: Fri, 11 April 2014 13:51]

Visit my Blog: http://thepaintheagony.blogspot.co.uk/
Previous Topic: Six pack?
Next Topic: Queers are very good in the hotel and catering trades
Goto Forum: