A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A request for some help
A request for some help  [message #68591] Thu, 28 August 2014 15:48 Go to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

Recently my server and two workstations were hit by a severe power outage in the grid that serves my block in eastern Toronto. A result of this crash was the Boot partition on the primary drives on all three machines were wiped clean and access to all were denied until the Operating System (Window 7 Ultimate) was re-installed.

A major caveat of all and any computer systems since time began had been ignored, namely backup, backup, backup; consequently, whilst I had successfully, and regularly, mirrored the archive drives (SATA1, SATA2, SATA3, SATA4 (each the new Seagate 4TB, and holding my entire Digital Vidéo, Audio, Gay Adult Pre-condom and Nude Male Celebrity Photo Collections) SATA0 the Boot Drive on each machine (Seagate 1 TB) was never included and for whatever reason the Windows Activation Keys were lost when the Windows Registry was destroyed when re-installing Windows.  These Keys were on-line purchases through Microsoft and therefore I had no hard-copy of them with the media.

My problem:  I'm now living on a pension, and currently in the process of relocating to hopefully better living accommodation; but, I can  no longer afford the CDN$900 it would cost me to replace the three Keys.

My ask:  Do any of our Membership, who have migrated to Windows 8 from Windows 7, have any NOW VACANT Windows 7 Ultimate Activation Keys they would be willing to give me. I need three to make my system "legal" again as I'm using MSDN Windows 7 freely distributed 64-bit media to which I'm entitled as a member, but for which only temporary 120-day Keys are provided.

I can offer no money in exchange for the Keys; but, I am willing to provide those who freely give me appropriate "Legal" Activation Keys, access to the Archive drives on-line, once the Server is back up and running.  This is no small service; the on-line archives (which I have shared through the ED2K Peer-to-peer Network for the past 15-years) hold some 4000 Family-friendly full-length Vidéos, 2000 Gay-themed and more or less Family-friendly full- and short-length Vidéos, combined spanning some 90-years of film history, Audio largely mp3's comprising all genres and about 15-languages and numbering somewhere in the range of 50,000 files, Gay Adult Pre-condom classic films largely filmed between 1950 and 1985 from a variety of studios then operating and considered to be amongst the finest ever filmed, with each found in the University of Wisconsin's (at Madison) Film Library of Gay Adult Film, the largest repository of Gay-themed Erotica in the World.

A reply to this thread, followed by an e-Mail to the gaydeceiver@hotmail.com would be gratefully received and welcomed.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Thu, 28 August 2014 18:22]

Re: A request for some help  [message #68592 is a reply to message #68591] Fri, 29 August 2014 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Damn, wish I could help. The only Windows keys I no longer use are 98 and 2K. I suppose Microsoft doesn't have any way to provide your old keys?
Best wishes.

raysstories.com
Re: A request for some help  [message #68593 is a reply to message #68592] Sat, 30 August 2014 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Already thought of that one and asked Microsoft.  They have a record of the on-line order and transaction; but, no record of the Keys that were provided; they were part of a five-Key multi pack; one-time special price at that time ... the introduction of Windows 7.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Warren
Re: A request for some help  [message #68594 is a reply to message #68591] Sat, 30 August 2014 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

Warren, you've probably thought of this, but if you use an online email service, like hotmail or gmail, you can search for 'microsoft' in the 'from' column and you'll find the product keys you bought.

I have a couple of product keys for Vista home premium that you're welcome to - though it royally sucks - and there is a vague possibility I can get hold of one key for Win 8 - though I can't say for sure until Monday.

Have you thought about Linux? Ubuntu is just as good as Win 8 and it's free. www.ubuntu.com

All the best,
Camy

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats." - Albert Schweitzer

It's like Mad Max out here: guys doing guys, girls doing girls, girls turning into guys and doing girls that used to do girls and guys!
- from Alex Truelove
Re: A request for some help  [message #68595 is a reply to message #68594] Mon, 01 September 2014 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Warren, you can relax! I've got what you need! I found my install discs for Windows 3.1 and I'll pop them in the post as soon as you send me your addy!

P.S. Do you have a floppy drive?

Actually, I had to reinstall a cousin's Win98 yesterday and got to wondering if you've solved your problem yet. She asked if she should get a newer computer. It does everything she wants, so I told her no. The most demanding thing she does on it is play online poker.

raysstories.com
Re: A request for some help  [message #68596 is a reply to message #68595] Mon, 01 September 2014 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Ray, you are a caution.  I truly needed that laugh this afternoon although I can probably do you one better... I'll send you original 1.44 media, on three Install Disks and 3 Resource Kit Disks, of Microsoft's MS-DOS 6.23, the last original stand-alone "Official" release prior to it's inclusion as MS-DOS 7 under Windows 98. In addition I have archived (including hardbound documentation) every release of both IBMDOS and MS-DOS from version 2.0, including images for the programmable EEPROMs (released by IBM Canada October 1999 incorporating Year 2000 fixes and relevant BIOS patches) used on the IBM-XT and first generation IBM-PCs.  These incidentally are amongst the files found in my digital archives that I share through the ed2k-network on line.

Addendum:  Yes, I do have a floppy drive; which size are you referring to... would the be 5.25" media, 120, 160, 180, 240, 360, 720 Kb  or 1.2 Mb... or perhaps the 3.5" 720 Kb, 1.44 or 2.88 Mb. Additionally I can offer zip- and tape-drives and relevant media, although whilst I have the devices and the media in storage, none of them with the exception of the tape-drive are capable of running on my existing Gigabyte PCI-Express featured (GA-F2A85X-UP4) Mainboard utilizing AMD's A10 architecture, 5.0 Ghz and higher capability, 128 Gb DDR4 RAM and just about every toy, bell and whistle I could ever possibly need... excepting the floppy drive.  Go figure!  I do have that capability though on either of the two other machines on the home network.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 September 2014 19:49]

Re: A request for some help  [message #68597 is a reply to message #68596] Mon, 01 September 2014 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

Quote:
none of them with the exception of the tape-drive are capable of running on my existing Gigabyte PCI-Express featured (GA-F2A85X-UP4) Mainboard utilizing AMD's A10 architecture, 5.0 Ghz and higher capability, 128 Gb DDR4 RAM and just about every toy, bell and whistle I could ever possibly need...

With respect, that sounds a lot like a geek's version of BCSD! Razz

Sorry, I tried but I couldn't get hold of a Win 8 key.

Best,
Camy

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats." - Albert Schweitzer

It's like Mad Max out here: guys doing guys, girls doing girls, girls turning into guys and doing girls that used to do girls and guys!
- from Alex Truelove
Re: A request for some help  [message #68598 is a reply to message #68597] Thu, 04 September 2014 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

LOL That's what you get for investing in the hardware but not the software!
Great big brick! LOL Though apparently not that bad yet.
I still have my Commodore64 with tape drive in a box somewhere. I doubt it still works. I even got a 5.25 disk drive for it, which I sincerely doubt works. And a dot-matrix traction printer. Though I think I gave the printer away, as I don't remember putting it into a box when I last moved.

raysstories.com
Re: A request for some help  [message #68599 is a reply to message #68597] Thu, 04 September 2014 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Camy® thank you so much for trying; it is greatly appreciated.  No geek-speak in my household; simply a case of my buying impulse getting away from the day I made the purchase. As I had been running a Charitable endeavour for years where by my business associates and I had since the late 1980's been providing refurbished computers free of charge to those who could not afford the technology as we retired our own and bought new; as a consequence I really hadn't had a completely new computer myself since 2000, and now that I'm retired and have passed the Charity onto younger and hopefully as capable hands, I felt the time had come to treat myself; and treat myself I did.  I'm not likely to truly benefit from all that my new Mainboard has to offer; but, my eldest son is most certain to after I'm gone and he takes it over.

Re: A request for some help  [message #68600 is a reply to message #68598] Thu, 04 September 2014 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Too right you are Ray.  I knew, and do know, better; believe me.  I honestly thought I had backed-up the on-line documentation Microsoft provided me at the time of Key purchase; must have had a blond moment, although I've not had that shade of hair colouring since well before my 21st birthday.

Oh well, I'll muddle along using the temporary Keys they provided me from MSDN at the time I downloaded the disk-image of the software; it won't crap-out or disable the OS or anything, just keep reminding me forever to register is all.
Re: A request for some help  [message #68601 is a reply to message #68600] Fri, 05 September 2014 02:41 Go to previous message

Likes it here

I remembered a story today at work. Might be real, might not.
Someone kept a copy of their Windows registration key on a notepad file on My Documents. Just in case they misplaced or lost the paper copy and the computer crapped out and they needed it for a reinstall.
Do I have to finish the story?
For those whom I do, when the computer did crap out, the hard drive to be exact, they couldn't retrieve the registration key... from the file in My Documents on the failed hard drive.
Sounds like an online joke, but I don't remember where I first heard it anymore.

raysstories.com
Previous Topic: In this day and age, can this really be happening?
Next Topic: A rarely discussed topic indeed.
Goto Forum: