A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > At last they are STONEWALL
At last they are STONEWALL  [message #69077] Mon, 16 February 2015 17:41 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

For far too long I have, as have many others, spelled them as "S_onewall" because they never, ever supported the T in LGBT. I see some of their point. T issues are not congruent with LGB issues. But they are similar issues, and the rest of the LGBT folk have embraced the T even when not understanding the issues clearly.

Today S_onewall became Stonewall.

[Apologies to those who will for ever associate the track with an MLM outfit named National Safety Associates!]

Now we just need to encourage them!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: At last they are STONEWALL  [message #69078 is a reply to message #69077] Mon, 16 February 2015 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Oh, the video? That is my comment!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: At last they are STONEWALL  [message #69082 is a reply to message #69078] Wed, 18 February 2015 10:23 Go to previous message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

A very guarded welcome for this!Obviously, it's good news that Stonewall has belatedly abandoned its anti-trans stance. However, experience suggests that as an organisation it has its own priorities, most of which are to do with getting publicity and funding. It has a reputation - whether deserved or otherwise - of "partnering" existing organisations, only to grab their existing funding streams, and sell itself as major movers. Nor does Stonewall's prolonged and vocal history of opposition to equal marriage suggest an organisation that is driven by the communities that it sets out to serve.I would suggest extreme caution for any existing group considering working with Stonewall on trans (or any other) issues.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Previous Topic: Call the Midwife
Next Topic: I suspect it was too highbrow
Goto Forum: