A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Dennis Cooper
Dennis Cooper  [message #69820] Mon, 22 June 2015 13:04 Go to next message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

I am curious, Has anyone here read Dennis Cooper?
or Bruce Benderson's The "Romanian"
Re: Dennis Cooper  [message #69821 is a reply to message #69820] Mon, 22 June 2015 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

I beginning to think everyone went on vacation with Timmy...
Re: Dennis Cooper  [message #69822 is a reply to message #69821] Tue, 23 June 2015 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

We're not all on vacation, but yeah - 'tis a bit quiet.

On the other hand, you mention two stories (or authors?) with no additional information so I don't know anything about them or their works or where to find them... etc. A generic description and reference where to locate them will be a great help!

What makes them noteworthy?
Re: Dennis Cooper  [message #69823 is a reply to message #69820] Tue, 23 June 2015 09:52 Go to previous message

Toe is in the water

Alienated queer youth, California 90's

His style has been a great influence on me.

He written a dozen or more thin volumes consisting of short stories and novellas.
And he has a highly regarded art site.

http://www.dennis-cooper.net/

"Frisk", "Wrong" "Closer" and "God Jr."

Bruce Benderson's book, the Romanian about a hustler the author met in Budapest and how it played out.  I suspect that it is not fiction.
Benderson has written a number of social science pamphlets from a queer point of view.  The vanishing public square.  In Europe you have town squares a 1000 years old but here in the States all we have is the Mall. The important distinction is that the Mall is private property which represses public expression. 

[Updated on: Tue, 23 June 2015 09:53]

Previous Topic: How would you write about the social media, immersed present
Next Topic: AZ Story Guy's "Never Forget,"
Goto Forum: