A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > posting avatar
posting avatar  [message #69830] Fri, 26 June 2015 20:43 Go to next message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

Very trivial question:
I have a jpeg that I would like to use as an avatar.. After several attempts reducing its size and the resolution, it was rejected for being over 20k..
now it is completely indistinctive and 72 at .5x1 at 10k.  Still no luck.  Are we being discouraged or am I a dumbell.
Re: posting avatar  [message #69831 is a reply to message #69830] Fri, 26 June 2015 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Discouraged? Not at all. I know your avatar is not in the approval queue, though. I have no real idea how that all works. I just know it took me a while for my own. Keep trying

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: posting avatar  [message #69832 is a reply to message #69830] Fri, 26 June 2015 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

All I do know is what the system tells everyone:

The avatar, should be no larger than 64x64 pixels and must be in jpggif or png format.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: posting avatar  [message #69843 is a reply to message #69831] Mon, 29 June 2015 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

It's the size limit the forum software imposes that is the biggy. Mine probably now needs approval before it can be seen but I did play around a bit and it can be a bit limiting but at least it seems to accept animated gifs.
Re: posting avatar  [message #69847 is a reply to message #69843] Tue, 30 June 2015 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dgt224 is currently offline  dgt224

Toe is in the water

A simple 64x64 JPEG should have no problem with the file size restriction; 64x64 is 4096 pixels, so about 12K if JPEG compression isn't able to reduce the file size at all, which is quite unusual. Not sure what "72 at .5x1 at 10k" means, but the "72" suggests that the 64x64 size restriction is the problem.
Re: posting avatar  [message #69849 is a reply to message #69847] Tue, 30 June 2015 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

72 is the "dots per inch" measure, so far as I can tell.

Re: posting avatar  [message #69850 is a reply to message #69849] Tue, 30 June 2015 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

If you think your jpeg is ok, convert to gif and try that. jpeg has a lot more properties than gif, but for 64 pixels square, you'll never tell the difference from the reduced colour set.

Irfan veiw is handy to convert files to nearly any format and it's free too.
Re: posting avatar  [message #69854 is a reply to message #69832] Tue, 30 June 2015 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

It's nice to know someone is there and thank you all.. I understand resolution and image size but I always seem to run into this problem.  Not sure if my Photoshop converts Jpeg to gif..

Anyway, I'll keep working on it.  A pic gives your contribution,.. personality..
Re: posting avatar  [message #69856 is a reply to message #69854] Tue, 30 June 2015 14:39 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

With Photoshop, "Save for Web". This will solve the resolution. the gif/jpg thing is probably a red herring

Previous Topic: The Fosters
Next Topic: "Shit Eating Grins"
Goto Forum: