A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Mainstream Scientific Study Concludes HIV Does Not Cause AIDS - Thoughts?
Mainstream Scientific Study Concludes HIV Does Not Cause AIDS - Thoughts?  [message #70402] Sun, 25 October 2015 19:49 Go to next message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

Mainstream Scientific Study Concludes HIV Does Not Cause AIDS[/font-family]
The Report.....

HIV can attack the host via a free-floating virus that infects the host's immune cells directly, or infect a single cell and then pass the virus from cell to cell, which is called cell-to-cell transmission.
Cell-to-cell transmission is a more efficient way for the virus to invade a host. It also triggers a cellular chain reaction that causes newly infected cells to commit suicide.[/font-family]"The fundamental 'killing units' of CD4 T-cells in lymphoid tissues are other infected cells, not the free virus," Gilad Doitsh, a staff research investigator at the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, said. "And cell-to-cell transmission of HIV is required for activation of the main HIV death pathway."[/font-family]Large quantities of CD4 T-cell deaths have consequences for the rest of the body.[/font-family]"Although free-floating viruses establish the initial infection, it is the subsequent cell-to-cell spread of HIV that causes massive CD4 T cell death," Nicole Galloway, a post-doctoral fellow at the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, said. "Cell-to-cell transmission of HIV is absolutely required for activation of the pathogenic HIV cell-death pathway."[/font-family]This is important as it could change AIDS treatments in the future.[/font-family]"This study fundamentally changes our mindset about how HIV causes massive cell death, and puts the spotlight squarely on the infected cells in lymphoid tissues rather than the free virus," Warner C. Greene, director of the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, said. "By preventing cell-to-cell transmission, we may able to block the death pathway and stop the progression from HIV infection to AIDS."

My views.....

So ok, we are told by our parents and teachers don't believe everything you read, but my question is, why would highly respected scientists face ruin if they were not confident on what they were saying?

Thoughts?[/font-family]

[Updated on: Sun, 25 October 2015 19:51] by Moderator

Re: Mainstream Scientific Study Concludes HIV Does Not Cause AIDS - Thoughts?  [message #70405 is a reply to message #70402] Sun, 25 October 2015 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

From a position of total ignorance, I have always considered that HIV attacks the immune system. By working to foil the HIV attacks we can, I presume, delay or prevent the opportunist class of ailments known as AIDS.

My understanding is that AIDS is not, of itself, a disease. Rather it is a collection of opportunist infections and other nastiness that takes advantage of a depleted immune system and kills the patient.

Am I close, or just plain wrong?

[Updated on: Sun, 25 October 2015 20:37]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Mainstream Scientific Study Concludes HIV Does Not Cause AIDS - Thoughts?  [message #70409 is a reply to message #70405] Sun, 25 October 2015 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

"Quote:"
timmy wrote on Sun, 25 October 2015 20:36From a position of total ignorance, I have always considered that HIV attacks the immune system. By working to foil the HIV attacks we can, I presume, delay or prevent the opportunist class of ailments known as AIDS.

My understanding is that AIDS is not, of itself, a disease. Rather it is a collection of opportunist infections and other nastiness that takes advantage of a depleted immune system and kills the patient.

Am I close, or just plain wrong?

--

This has always been my long held understanding... like others I would imagine. To educate myself and dig deeper I found this very Simple to understand short doco on Youtube. Its half hour long but if you have the patience it does do really good Layman speak! hehe

Video

[Updated on: Sun, 25 October 2015 21:02] by Moderator

Re: Mainstream Scientific Study Concludes HIV Does Not Cause AIDS - Thoughts?  [message #70411 is a reply to message #70409] Sun, 25 October 2015 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Exactly Timmy.
AIDS is not a disease. It is a term to describe the effects/condition on/of the human body caused by HIV.
HIV = Human Immunodeficiency Virus which causes AIDS = Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome.
The virus (HIV) attacks the body's immune system, leaving it weak and unable to defend itself, which is called AIDS. The condition of AIDS allows any usual or normal infection to run unopposed and do far more damage than it could if your immune system was working. A simple cold can kill you.
HIV is the disease (virus) which leaves you too weak to survive even a common cold, a condition called AIDS. Usually, an AIDS victim contracts multiple colds, flu, and other viral infections, until they simply waste away from the multiple infections. They often contract even rare and unusual infections. If they are exposed, they end up getting it, whatever it is.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 October 2015 21:21]

raysstories.com
Re: Mainstream Scientific Study Concludes HIV Does Not Cause AIDS - Thoughts?  [message #70422 is a reply to message #70411] Mon, 26 October 2015 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

Okay, I don't want to seem pedantic. (Actually, I am pedantic, but I don't want to seem so.)

Technically, a virus is not a disease. A virus can cause a disease. The vast majority of viruses in our bodies don't cause any disease at all. Some of them kill bacteria in our guts.
Re: Mainstream Scientific Study Concludes HIV Does Not Cause AIDS - Thoughts?  [message #70426 is a reply to message #70402] Mon, 26 October 2015 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

The headline is misleading and doesn't accurately represent what the body of the report actually says. Maybe whoever wrote the headline didn't really understand it, or maybe they were trying to put forward their own agenda.

To summarise the basics:
HIV is a virus that travels from person to person.
It attacks certain cells that are part of the immune system.
With a damaged immune system, other opportunistic infections can occur.

The question addressed by this study was:
Once in the body and established in some of the immune cells, is the death of immune cells caused by infection of more cells from free-floating virus or by virus passed during direct contact between the immune cells?
The answer was that the cell death was mainly caused when the virus went directly from one immune cell to another.

Thus, contrary to what the headline says, the study does not conclude that HIV does not cause AIDS. It concludes that the main pathway for cell death occurs when the virus is passed from directly cell to cell.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 October 2015 01:12]

Re: Mainstream Scientific Study Concludes HIV Does Not Cause AIDS - Thoughts?  [message #70427 is a reply to message #70426] Mon, 26 October 2015 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

I wanted to know who the cited authority was:

Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Mainstream Scientific Study Concludes HIV Does Not Cause AIDS - Thoughts?  [message #70430 is a reply to message #70427] Mon, 26 October 2015 06:30 Go to previous message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladstone_Institutes

raysstories.com
Previous Topic: Ronny and I
Next Topic: U.S. Soldiers Told to Ignore Sexual Abuse of Boys by Afghan Allies
Goto Forum: