A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Unconscious bigotry
Unconscious bigotry  [message #70620] Fri, 11 December 2015 10:58 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I was sent this by a friend. At first sight it looked reasonable, but I looked deeper

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=2175&private=0

That's interesting, but wrong.

I will eat No M&Ms from that sample unless and until all the poisonous ones are found and removed. There is a certainty that any one of 10 of them would, if eaten, kill me.

However, I will accept Syrian refugees because there is no certainty that any individual member will kill me. None have been declared to be deadly. There is a suspicion, yes, but not a certainty

I am biased. I am the son of a refugee fleeing a regime that would have killed him. If there is a risk I will take it

I told him this. I was heartened by the reply. He said "Thank you, that's made me think!"

It is a logical fallacy, which you may determine from a list of fallacies.
  • Attachment: M&Ms.jpg
    (Size: 42.22KB, Downloaded 1362 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 11 December 2015 12:02]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Well said.  [message #70621 is a reply to message #70620] Fri, 11 December 2015 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

I've gotten so tired, likely enured truth be told, by the constant onslaught of bigotry and hate raining down upon us daily from not just the usual suspects, but others that one would have assumed, if not immune to it, were at the very least able to discern self-evident propaganda from genuine, and documented, fact.

From birth in 1950 I grew up, one of two children, of parents who (their parents aside) were likely the most bigoted people I was ever in my lifetime going to meet.  My Father and Grandfather each went out of their way to make certain that neither boy would ever grow up to embrace the attitudes they themselves or generations before them had.  They were moderately successful; my elder brother was only a partial success, whereas from day one I have lived the "La Vida Loca" certain in the knowledge of my belief that EQUAL MEANS EQUAL; there being no shades of grey on an otherwise black and white World canvas of Human Rights and Dignity.  I become physically nauseous in the midst of racist barrages and hate-filled and bigoted tirades which have become so popular in recent times and notably after each, more heinous, terrorist atrocity.

I fear I have truly outlived my purpose; and that the sooner I depart this World the better, as I'm not at all certain I want to witness the depths to which humankind is going to stoop in the forthcoming few years.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Fri, 11 December 2015 14:10]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Well said.  [message #70637 is a reply to message #70621] Wed, 16 December 2015 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"The Gay Deceiver wrote on Fri, 11 December 2015 14:09"

I fear I have truly outlived my purpose; and that the sooner I depart this World the better, as I'm not at all certain I want to witness the depths to which humankind is going to stoop in the forthcoming few years.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

--
If there is a heaven, Warren, when you get there would you mind deflowering all the virgins. That will be one in the eye for Jihadists who die in their misguided struggle.

The virgins will be grateful, obviously, that they do not have to await a moron's killing him or herself.

Always remember that these fuckwits are not real muslims. Much as Donald Trump thinks he is good looking, they think they are good muslims.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Well said.  [message #70638 is a reply to message #70637] Wed, 16 December 2015 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Timmy, would that be, LOL, just the male virgins, or the female ones too?

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

Re: Well said.  [message #70639 is a reply to message #70638] Wed, 16 December 2015 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"The Gay Deceiver wrote on Wed, 16 December 2015 13:08"
Timmy, would that be, LOL, just the male virgins, or the female ones too?

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

--
You may delegate the female ones Smile

A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #70640 is a reply to message #70639] Wed, 16 December 2015 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

... as my mother often had suspected I might not want to delegate and sample for my own pleasure. She, after all was the person who gave me the nick-name "The Gay Deceiver" that I've been known by most of my life. It would be Jon in 1967 who put paid to that when he swept me off my feet and, LOL, I've never really landed since.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

Re: A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #71006 is a reply to message #70640] Sat, 06 February 2016 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

While it's not a poison M&M, here's a reason this 'refugee' tsunami is more than just a humanitarian crisis for the refugees.

An Iraqi migrant has admitted to raping a ten year old boy in a Viennese swimming pool so ferociously that the boy had to be hospitalised for his injuries.
The man said he knew it was wrong but couldn't help himself as he hadn't had sex in months. Police investigators have ascertained that the 20 year old man entered Austria on the 13th September, travelling into the country via the Balkans. On the December 2nd he brutally attacked the young boy, pulling him into a changing cubicle, pulling down his swimming trunks and assaulting him.  Although the boy cried out he was not heard by anyone, Kronen Zeitung has reported. Following the attack, the Iraqi amused himself by diving repeatedly from the three metre board. The young boy, meanwhile, went to a lifeguard in tears and told him what had happened. The police were immediately called and were able to arrest the Iraqi on the spot, while the boy was taken to hospital suffering from serious injuries. During his interrogation the man attempted to excuse himself, saying that it had been a "sexual emergency." He explained that he had to satisfy himself with the lad as he had not had sex in four months, explaining "I couldn't stand not having sex as I have excess sexual energy." He added that it had been "a huge mistake" and that he had known it would "scar the boy". When asked whether it was illegal to have sex with ten year old boys in Iraq, the man said "Such a thing is forbidden in any country in the world."

(BTW, the 'migrant' is an 'undocumented migrant', or, illegal alien. He snuck into the country through the mountains.)

Austria has approximately 5,559 Iraqi refugees. Austria has approximately 1,500 Syrian refugees. One Iraqi has brutally raped a 10 year old boy after being in the country less than four months. Over 850 rapes by foreign refugees, none by Austrian nationals, leading to a 10.4 'rape rate'.
Austria did not have a 'rape rate' before the refugee crisis, there was less than one rape per 100,000 people per year. Now there is 10.4 rapes per 100,000 people each year, all by 'refuges'. Most, not all, were rapes of women, and now a 10 year-old boy.

icestelle.at/migration_bewegt/2014/04/29/irakische-community -von-vielfalt-gepraegt/.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 February 2016 04:20]

raysstories.com
Re: A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #71008 is a reply to message #71006] Sat, 06 February 2016 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

And yet that is a risk I will take. Every human community has bad people in it. His host country has bad people, and his original country has bad people. He is a selfish shit. But the good people, refugees and hosts, they outweigh him and his actions.

Re: A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #71012 is a reply to message #71008] Sat, 06 February 2016 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pedro

Toe is in the water

Quote:
timmy wrote on Sat, 06 February 2016 09:10And yet that is a risk I will take. Every human community has bad people in it. His host country has bad people, and his original country has bad people. He is a selfish shit. But the good people, refugees and hosts, they outweigh him and his actions.

-But by his actions should he not forfeit his right to be considered for asylum/leave to remain and be put on the first plane back to his place of origin no matter what he faces there, and never allowed to return/reapply even if he has family already in the host country?

Pedro
Re: A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #71013 is a reply to message #71012] Sat, 06 February 2016 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Pedro wrote on Sat, 06 February 2016 13:40"

"Quote:"
timmy wrote on Sat, 06 February 2016 09:10And yet that is a risk I will take. Every human community has bad people in it. His host country has bad people, and his original country has bad people. He is a selfish shit. But the good people, refugees and hosts, they outweigh him and his actions.

-But by his actions should he not forfeit his right to be considered for asylum/leave to remain and be put on the first plane back to his place of origin no matter what he faces there, and never allowed to return/reapply even if he has family already in the host country?

--
I take that as a given

Re: A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #71015 is a reply to message #71013] Sat, 06 February 2016 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pedro

Toe is in the water

Except it doesn't always seem to work like that.

Pedro
Re: A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #71018 is a reply to message #71013] Sun, 07 February 2016 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Quote:
timmy wrote on Sat, 06 February 2016 09:35
"Pedro wrote on Sat, 06 February 2016 13:40"

"Quote:"

--
I take that as a given

--
He has, as far as I'm concerned, forfeited his right to own a penis and testicles.

raysstories.com
Re: A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #71025 is a reply to message #71008] Sun, 07 February 2016 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

Quote:
timmy wrote on Sat, 06 February 2016 02:10And yet that is a risk I will take.

--

But at the same time, there are more than a few people out there who aren't willing to take that risk.  After all, if you were able to build a time machine that would take you to New York City on September 10th, 2001, and you tried to get people there to believe that soon foreign-born Muslim terrorists would use large civilian airplanes to attack the city and the Pentagon, you'd have had a whole lot of people scoffing at what you were saying, and for good reason.  At the time it would have been a very absurd notion.  And yet what happened the very next day?  Foreign-born Muslim terrorists (who were all in the U.S. legally to boot) did just that, and almost 3,000 innocent people are dead because of it, a number that could have been far higher if the terrorists had waited a couple of hours (the attacks came at a time when not everyone had shown up for work).

Terrorists do not operate conventionally; they have struck in a wide variety of places and in a wide variety of ways, and always in the guise of ordinary, everyday people that you would never suspect of being a terrorist until it's too late.  That's how the 9/11 terrorists or the terrorists who attacked Paris not too long ago (or any others who have carried out such attacks) managed to get away with what they did.Yes, no one can prove that any terrorist groups have ever made plans to slip in operatives in with the refugees, but then, no one can prove that they haven't, ether, and that's why people are so scared.  Often we just don't know when, where, or how they're going to strike, and fear, whether there's any justification for it or not, is a powerful thing.
Re: A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #71026 is a reply to message #71025] Sun, 07 February 2016 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/us/us-pushes-back-against- warnings-that-isis-plans-to-enter-from-mexico.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/homeland-warns-isis-retaliation-us- sympathizers/story?id=25087995

https://www.rt.com/news/233335-isis-islamic-libya-europe/

http://shoebat.com/2015/02/04/isis-releases-statement-alread y-smuggled-four-thousand-isis-fighters-western-nations-disgu ising-refugees-will-executing-major-attacks/

So why allow anyone to come into the county illegally at their whim, let alone everyone? That's not immigration, it's invasion.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 February 2016 09:49]

raysstories.com
Re: A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #71030 is a reply to message #71026] Sun, 07 February 2016 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Smokr wrote on Sun, 07 February 2016 09:48 http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/us/us-pushes-back-against- warnings-that-isis-plans-to-enter-from-mexico.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/homeland-warns-isis-retaliation-us- sympathizers/story?id=25087995

https://www.rt.com/news/233335-isis-islamic-libya-europe/

http://shoebat.com/2015/02/04/isis-releases-statement-alread y-smuggled-four-thousand-isis-fighters-western-nations-disgu ising-refugees-will-executing-major-attacks/

So why allow anyone to come into the county illegally at their whim, let alone everyone? That's not immigration, it's invasion.

--
I am still happy to take the risk. The terrorists won the moment the USA decided to memorialise their atrocities, and grant them the huge publicity of anniversaries.

Re: A reply somewhat off topic; but, what the hell...  [message #71032 is a reply to message #71030] Mon, 08 February 2016 03:39 Go to previous message

Really getting into it

Timmy, that last sentiment I have to agree with.  There can be no canonization of these atrocities; remembering yes... not immediately, maybe 10-years or more distant, and certainly not with great big 100-odd floor towers just begging to be taken out for a second time.

Speaking of 100-odd floor towers I found it interesting that when the twin World Trade Towers came down and talk turned to re-building the then current owners of the buildings were never consulted as to what they might have liked to do.  They were treated as no consequence stakeholders, likely because they were Canadian holding bonds on two buildings they could not get insurance coverage for because of the aborted terrorist attack in the public parking garage some years prior to their purchase that had just cost them upwards of likely several-billion dollars.

New York City did eventually redress this omission in awarding them in 2015 exclusive redevelopment rights to a pier further up the river which is probably less likely to attract the attention of both media and terrorist.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

Previous Topic: This Seventh-Grade Football Team Made A Nude Calendar To Help Combat Homophobia
Next Topic: Capital Punishment
Goto Forum: