A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Of Yaoi
Of Yaoi  [message #70681] Wed, 30 December 2015 11:42 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I've been wondering about yaoi. After visiting this site my wondering turned to what Yaoi is, and why oyt often represents boys as girls. It has been said that Yaoi is drawn for and plotted for girls, not boys. I find that interesting, but not wholly believable.

Looking at some of the drawings and the videos I find I am drawn to being any of the parties in them. The clothing is amusing, but irrelevant. What does strike me, though, is that many of the plots are to do with humiliation and power rather than a loving embrace. I'm less sure that I like that, even in a storyboard environment. So I wondered about your thoughts.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Of Yaoi  [message #70688 is a reply to message #70681] Wed, 30 December 2015 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew is currently offline  Matthew

Toe is in the water

Yaoi is weird, not in a bad way, but i like some of it, but then i see some of the pictures/stories and it's like whoa, not quite what i want to see

It's also always weird for me to see the cartoon characters of my youth in let's say compromising positions, i mean it's just weird for me to see them in any other way, than the way i remember them as a kid, so seeing Sonic for example getting drilled by Knuckles or Tails is kind of a no no for me.

As for whether it is for boys or girls to enjoy, well i kind of fall into the opinion of, who really cares, i mean if someone enjoys it then good for them, doesn't matter what they have between their legs, if they enjoy it, they enjoy it Smile
Re: Of Yaoi  [message #70694 is a reply to message #70688] Wed, 30 December 2015 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

I get far more laughs and grins out of that stuff than anything else. It's hardly arousing, most of it. And some of it is entirely un-arousing. But... whatever floats their boats, so long as no one gets hurt.

raysstories.com
Re: Of Yaoi  [message #70707 is a reply to message #70694] Sat, 02 January 2016 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larkinjet is currently offline  larkinjet

Getting started

I love it!!!

First of all, it is Japanese. Starting at the end of WW2, Japan tried to catch up and modernize.  In doing so it expressed itself as a strange parallel imitation of American culture. Attitudes towards sex are very different.

Rarely does it depict gay sex as 2 equal guys that look exactly like each other.

They do not hide feminine aspects, One boy is often girly.  They do not hide sexual aggression or age disparity. Romance is often prominent to the point of being poetic.

There is Shota (young boys),  Bishōnen (beautiful boys)  Yaoi (Teen or adult), Bara (Beefy men) This last one is the least common.

Yaoi is essentially, beautiful boys in love.  In every story there is the Seme (the top) and the Uke (the bottom).  A common theme is an older boy at school attracted to a younger shy boy. They cultivate a love affair that becomes sexually aggressive.  Often depicted as frantic and forceful, in the end, it resolves in to a close friendship. The conqueror and the vanquished become one.

In spite of the explicit sex, the stories have plausible content. They are actually very sensitive and poetic of which sex is just one aspect.  I consider it is a form of literature.

Yaoi Manga has been influential in my writing.

Look for one ones with simple and uncluttered graphics.  Intense graphics are visually hard to sort out and are even enoying. It can ruin the story.
Quote:
In the 1860's, erotic Japanese woodblocks were extremely popular with the French impressionists.  I am sure that the graphic style had an effect on Gauguin and Van Goth, who were blind drunk on absinthe while havin a wank.         

[Updated on: Sat, 02 January 2016 01:24]

“Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. ”
― George Orwell
Re: Of Yaoi  [message #70711 is a reply to message #70707] Sat, 02 January 2016 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I went to the British Museum when they had a Japanese Art exhibition on, old paintings, sculpture etc. I was impressed by the large number of male/male penis/mouth/anus combinations. It was a high proportion of the total art on display, so high that it became boring after a while.

I see Yaoi as the 20th and 21st century extension of classic art.

Some is very unappealing, some is downright bizarre, most is highly accomplished, some is very erotic.

I am following the blog of a Canadian lad who is into Cosplay which I find amusing, though not erotic. I can't make up my mind whether I find him beautiful or not, but I find his naïve charm appealing.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 January 2016 12:56]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Of Yaoi  [message #71210 is a reply to message #70681] Tue, 08 March 2016 19:43 Go to previous message
AlexTwisst is currently offline  AlexTwisst

Getting started

There is a nice yaoi/shota combination story, Super Lovers  (http://mangafox.me/manga/super_lovers/). Not finished, but already 23 chapters ready in english. The most there happens is kissing, storys a bit slow, even boring sometimes, but the drawings are beautiful Wink
http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=2401&private=0http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=2400&private=0

[Updated on: Tue, 08 March 2016 19:47]

"I work hard in the 4th,
and we'll be together next year.
We'd enjoy that since I love you,
and you like me."

http://45.media.tumblr.com/56d7d6c5872d2b52c768ee8e3996853b/tumblr_mu3l6iMntQ1rs218bo1_400.gif
Previous Topic: Being gay
Next Topic: Recommendations pretty please :3
Goto Forum: