A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > For Everything You Are - A new edit!
For Everything You Are - A new edit!  [message #71138] Thu, 25 February 2016 00:30 Go to next message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

Hey Roamin' Readers.

Some of you may have read my Story For Everything You Are, others may not. But I just wanted to put it out there that I am releasing a new edit of the novel on my site in the coming days and pending how fast Timmy can get it up on IOMFATS then that new version will appear here hopefully. (Timmy?). This new copy has been carefully edited and changed in places to allow for a smoother read of what was my first ever novel. 

I'm just gonna paste the comments I left on my site as a few people have asked what I mean by re-edit.

For Everything you Are was the first Novel I ever wrote when I started writing Gay Fiction

Why is it getting a makeover?

The truth is I loved the plot I created, still do, but the writing style was seriously poor and it shows it was written by someone who had never done any writing before. It was edited badly, written worse and half the time Cody and Jake's names were in the wrong place confusing the reader. There were also frequent grammar errors and it was just a mess to read - having read it myself! (How vain!)I was very inexperienced when I wrote it and had zero writing skills. It is my hope that as I have gained experience as a writer I can show For Everything You Are as it was meant to be shown. With better words, more natural dialog and hopefully more expressive narration.

How are you changing it?

I am going in chapter by chapter and deep cleaning all the dialog and narration. (I actually hate writing 3rd person now but did it then because it was all I knew.) Then what I have missed goes through to my Editor Ricky who then cleans it again, and then it comes back to me for a final pass. Where I feel something could have been said better I am changing it. For the writers out there I know you will agree that as you gain experience you learn to use better words and express what's in your head better. That is my aim here. The result I hope is that it can be read the way I always intended for it to be - as a smooth teen romance novel.  

Will there be any new content?

There will be a small amount of new dialog where I think it is needed and some scenes will be changed so they are explained or shown better. But more importantly I am doing this because I want it to be read the way I really wanted to write it in the first place.

When will this be uploaded?

Soon, I am about half way through the story as of 24/02/16 So I expect within the next few days (time permitting) I will have the complete novel back up on the site. I will also make the text the now standard 18 font I use for those with impaired site. For those readers on IOMFATS you'll be able to catch it a few days after once I speak to Timmy about putting the new copy up.
Really hope you all give it another shot and tell me if you found it more pleasurable in the new format Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 25 February 2016 00:33] by Moderator

Re: For Everything You Are - A new edit!  [message #71139 is a reply to message #71138] Thu, 25 February 2016 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Depending on what I'm doing at the time you send me the source files, I can get the changes up in about an hour, and simply replace the files I have. It takes a finite time to convert them, and this is rather more manual than publishing them first time around.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: For Everything You Are - A new edit!  [message #71140 is a reply to message #71139] Thu, 25 February 2016 18:40 Go to previous message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

"timmy wrote on Thu, 25 February 2016 08:02"
Depending on what I'm doing at the time you send me the source files, I can get the changes up in about an hour, and simply replace the files I have. It takes a finite time to convert them, and this is rather more manual than publishing them first time around.

--

Yeah thought it might be. I'll send you the files once it's done and then wait greatfully for the change.
Previous Topic: A themed story is announced
Next Topic: There will be more story contests
Goto Forum: