A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Contest procedural and nomenclature cockup - mine
Contest procedural and nomenclature cockup - mine  [message #71290] Fri, 25 March 2016 19:52 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Actually I have made two errors, and it took a participant in what I called a story *contest* to show me. And I offer them and you all my profound apologies. This was my fault, and I have made an author feel badly enough about this for them to let me know. I'm pleased they did, and I'm sorry they needed to, as Error 2 will show you.

Error 1: I failed to announce the winners. 

My job was to blow a trumpet fanfare and to say, clearly, "Look at the results and see, at the foot of the page, how the results turned out!"

Here, LATE, is the trumpet fanfare:

First, interpretation of the picture:

Overall best: The Dare
Second: Avery and Me
Third: Of Which Nightmares Are Made 
Fourth: Revenge
Fifth: From the Stream to the Sea
Sixth: Jonah

Now, favourite stories:

Overall best: The Dare
Second equal: Jonah, and also Avery and Me
Fourth: From the Stream to the Sea
Fifth: Revenge
Sixth:  Of Which Nightmares Are Made 

That is quite a difference, and The Dare at the top of each s something to be proud of. If you have not read them all, read them all, please, and email the authors to let them know your reaction.

Error 2 was my concept of a "contest".

I should have said *challenge*, not contest. I think it may have been silly of me to suggest overall winners.

I don't think writers win or lose, I think they entertain, challenge, shock, horrify, please, titillate and much more. So I am re-titling the events, which will be regular events, as "Challenges" and I think I will keep the overall voting, but not classify the outcomes as winning. Instead they are subjective opinions of the folk who read and are kind enough to offer their opinions.

It will take me a short while to sort out the names of the pages on the site. I have a family weekend this weekend, and I have just grabbed this online time to offer authors and readers alike my apologies for cocking it up. When we make mistakes it's important to say so clearly, to apologise clearly, and to acknowledge it clearly. And to learn from the mistake.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 March 2016 20:01]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Contest procedural and nomenclature cockup - mine  [message #71293 is a reply to message #71290] Fri, 25 March 2016 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have now, I hope, transmuted all references on the main site from Contest and Competition to Challenge. If the word contest appears in any element of the pages except the url itself, please let me know by email where it is and I'll crack on and change that, too

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Contest procedural and nomenclature cockup - mine  [message #71296 is a reply to message #71293] Sat, 26 March 2016 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
timmy wrote on Fri, 25 March 2016 23:52I have now, I hope, transmuted all references on the main site from Contest and Competition to Challenge. If the word contest appears in any element of the pages except the url itself, please let me know by email where it is and I'll crack on and change that, too

--
I found a couple more mentions of "contest" and changed them today. I have also made my peace with the very sensible author who let me know. Had they not told me I would have continued on my way thinking I was doing well. I was not, obviously.

icon8.gif Re: Contest procedural and nomenclature cockup - mine  [message #71299 is a reply to message #71296] Sun, 27 March 2016 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

Timmy, I don't consider you have any real reason to don sackcloth and ashes over this.

The results were clear enough to see on the Contest/Challenge page and I suspect it was only the authors who were interested in those.

Also, I didn't regard it as a Contest as there was no prize Sad - just something to get my creative juices flowing Razz

Re: Contest procedural and nomenclature cockup - mine  [message #71302 is a reply to message #71299] Sun, 27 March 2016 11:43 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
ivor slipper wrote on Sun, 27 March 2016 09:45Timmy, I don't consider you have any real reason to don sackcloth and ashes over this.

The results were clear enough to see on the Contest/Challenge page and I suspect it was only the authors who were interested in those.

Also, I didn't regard it as a Contest as there was no prize Sad - just something to get my creative juices flowing Razz

--
Indeed, Ivor, that was the intent. But I can do better and ought to have done better. So I will do better in future.

Previous Topic: Car fans, a treat is coming: Rules of the Road
Next Topic: Charlie by Hamen Cheese
Goto Forum: