A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The power of the Nifty Archive, and getting readership for your stories
The power of the Nifty Archive, and getting readership for your stories  [message #71646] Mon, 30 May 2016 12:37 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

In my most recent tale, Croydon Below, I put a link to Yuu and Natsuki, both here and in the one I submitted to Nifty. Since uploading Croydon Below I have been monitoring the site traffic:

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=2808&private=0

In just that time period, ignoring prior page visits, bearing in mind Croydon Below went up here on Friday and on Nifty on Saturday. each has now had equal reads, 253 apiece, and the right hand column is the most significant. 205 of Yuu's reads in that time have come from Nifty (or elsewhere externally).

What I want to suggest to writers who wish to and who are published here is that, when they next publish on Nifty, they might also include a link to their tales here.

Why?

Well, not for selfish reasons. I don't care about having the biggest, most visited, sexiest, or any other egotistical crap epithet about the site. I care only about your (plural) readership. Get someone to your other stories here and you will increase the readership for not only your own tales but the other high quality authors that are here.

It's a karma thing, a 'pay it forward' thing.

I don't mind if you don't do it. I have enough bandwidth from our host if you do. I just want the best readership for you, and that means all of you.

As a side benefit I also see people wandering around the rest of the site. If the resources save one kid that wasn't saved before he read the pages, then the site has worked.

Now, linking:

If you supply HTML files to Nifty then you can put a link in, in this format:

<a href="full url copied and pasted from your browser" target="_blank">Name of the story or page you link to</a>

An example is 

<a href="http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/iomfats/shorts/the-tale-of-croydon-below.html" target="_blank">The Tale of Croydon Below</a>

You can always ask me, or find a tame expert. You can only do this in HTML files. not in text files at all.

The target thing? That opens the linked page in a new tab. You do not lose the reader from your current story

[Updated on: Mon, 30 May 2016 12:43]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The power of the Nifty Archive, and getting readership for your stories  [message #72761 is a reply to message #71646] Sun, 19 March 2017 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Driver is currently offline  Mark Driver

Getting started

I recently came across IOMFATS.ORG by a story that was linked here from Nifty.  I am grateful for that. I don't spend much time at Nifty so was fortunate to come across that particular story.  I've enjoyed reading what the authors create for this Website and look forward to more.
Re: The power of the Nifty Archive, and getting readership for your stories  [message #72762 is a reply to message #72761] Sun, 19 March 2017 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Out of interest, do you recall which tale you were reading on Nifty?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The power of the Nifty Archive, and getting readership for your stories  [message #72763 is a reply to message #72762] Mon, 20 March 2017 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Driver is currently offline  Mark Driver

Getting started

Black Eyed David
Re: The power of the Nifty Archive, and getting readership for your stories  [message #72764 is a reply to message #72763] Mon, 20 March 2017 14:27 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

That is so cool, and one of mine, too.

Previous Topic: The Boy With A Red Rose.
Next Topic: Dear Little Brother.
Goto Forum: