A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Call Me By Your Name
Call Me By Your Name  [message #73146] Mon, 07 August 2017 03:49 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

The first trailer for highly-anticipated gay romance Call Me By Your Name has arrived after the film received rave reviews at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival earlier this year.
Set in the Italian region of Lombardy in the 1980s, it charts the secret gay love affair between a 17-year-old boy (played by Timothée Chalamet) and 24-year-old student (Armie Hammer) while spending the summer together with the teen's family.
Directed by Luca Guadagnino, it's an adaptation of André Aciman's 2007 seminal novel.
However, the director defended his decision to cast straight actors in the roles during an interview earlier this year.
"This film is about the blossoming of love and desire, no matter where it comes from and toward what," Guadagnino told The Hollywood Reporter. "So I couldn't have ever thought of casting with any sort of gender agenda.
"I think people are so beautiful and complex as creatures that as much as I am fascinated with gender theory -- I've studied [American gender theorist] Judith Butler for so long -- I prefer much more never to investigate or label my performers in any way."
Call Me By Your Name will be in cinemas from 27 October in the UK and 24 November in the US.
<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen src=" //www.vulture.com/media/components/ooyala-player/iframe.html ?ooyala-player-uri=www.vulture.com/components/ooyala-player/ instances/cj5tplbxr00003k5tyx16rja9@published "></iframe>
Re: Call Me By Your Name  [message #73336 is a reply to message #73146] Sat, 02 September 2017 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Driver is currently offline  Mark Driver

Getting started

If you've read the book, or another Aciman book, Enigma Variations, then one might consider how labeling the characters' sexuality goes beyond what Aciman is going for in his stories.   I just hope the movie comes close to how good the book is.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 September 2017 02:04]

Re: Call Me By Your Name  [message #73942 is a reply to message #73146] Thu, 25 January 2018 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

For those that may not have heard yet (and who pay attention to such things), the movie just got nominated for 4 Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Actor (for Timothée Chalamet).

(The other two nominations were for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Song, for the song "Mystery of Love.")
Re: Call Me By Your Name  [message #74128 is a reply to message #73942] Wed, 07 March 2018 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

One more update on this - "Call Me By Your Name" did go on to win the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar.
Re: Call Me By Your Name  [message #74186 is a reply to message #74128] Wed, 21 March 2018 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

I saw the movie. Timothee was great in the part, and probably the perfect actor, since he speaks English, French, and Italian fluently. Armie Hammer, OTOH, was a bit of a dick, and the 'chemistry' between them was a bit lacking. There were several scenes, though, that were excellent, even groundbreaking for a major studio release. This movie will be remembered for years. Probably the best gay-themed movie since Brokeback Mountain.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Call Me By Your Name  [message #74187 is a reply to message #74186] Wed, 21 March 2018 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"American_Alex wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 22:16"
 Probably the best gay-themed movie since Brokeback Mountain.

--
To be fair, that is not a huge accolade. BM was devoid of emotion until the very last scenes and was two cowboys rutting in a tent. The most emotional scene prior to the ending was the death of the moose.

As a gay man married to a woman we both went to the cinema to see it with hopes high for a good drama and were roundly disappointed that the whole thing was devoted, broadly, to lube-free fucking under canvas. There was a huge emotional tension that was ignored totally all the way through. It could have explored it with ease, but it was decided that this woudl be the movie that shocked redneck parts of the USA. The pre-release PR showed that in spades.

Wilde was better, albeit with improbable simulated anal sex.

I shall probably see this one at some point, but I'm not rushing to do so.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Call Me By Your Name  [message #74219 is a reply to message #74187] Thu, 29 March 2018 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

You sem to have missed the most important scenes; the "I wish I knew how to quit you" scene, and the one where Ennis makes the call when he learns of Jack's death; what WASN'T said in that scene pretty much told the story. You may not be used to people from that part of the U.S. like I am, they are probably the most taciturn you'll ever meet. The "emotional tension" is something that is common with people in the mountain states. There was another gay movie also set in the mountain states (I think it was called "Big Sky"), where the main character was a Lakota man who said very little. When he revealed his love for the other main character, most people were surprised, but those who have lived there picked up on it much earlier.

Also, the cinematography in BBM was incredible. 

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Call Me By Your Name  [message #74445 is a reply to message #74186] Sat, 09 June 2018 00:46 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"American_Alex wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 22:16"
I saw the movie. Timothee was great in the part, and probably the perfect actor, since he speaks English, French, and Italian fluently. Armie Hammer, OTOH, was a bit of a dick, and the 'chemistry' between them was a bit lacking. There were several scenes, though, that were excellent, even groundbreaking for a major studio release. This movie will be remembered for years. Probably the best gay-themed movie since Brokeback Mountain.

--
I tried to watch this recently. I soldiered on for 20 minutes while getting very bored. I fast forwarded a few times. I was on a plane and it let me do that. For me it remained boring.

I think we suffer from the "This is a great GAY movie" hype that Brokeback Mountain suffered from. A better gay movie was The Talented Mr Ripley, which was also rather tedious. Wilde was sunstantially better, though the positions for the simulated sex were geometrically difficult.

There is a bit of Emperor's New Clothes about gay movies at the moment when they attempt to be mainstream. We end up with neither fish nor fowl. It's about time movie makers realised that gay folk just are, and that they can form a normal part of the cast of characters.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Feeling sad and nostalgic
Next Topic: Of anniversaries
Goto Forum: