A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Frost Covered Marker by Geron Kees
The Frost Covered Marker by Geron Kees  [message #73643] Sat, 18 November 2017 13:55 Go to next message
Nigel Gordon is currently offline  Nigel Gordon

Getting started

There are some short stories which are well written. There are others that make you think. It is rare to find a well written short story that also makes you think. This is one of them. It is an exceptionally well written story that truely evokes a feeling of time and place within the reader. It also makes you aware of the sacrifices that were made by many in the resistance to the German occupation of Norway during the second world war. I worked frequently in both Denmark and Sweden and during those times came into contact with many Norwegieans who had been involved in the resistance. The feeling that I got from them when they spoke about their country is what I get from the story. It is one I certainly recommend anyone to read.
Re: The Frost Covered Marker by Geron Kees  [message #73644 is a reply to message #73643] Sat, 18 November 2017 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nigel Gordon wrote on Sat, 18 November 2017 13:55"
There are some short stories which are well written. There are others that make you think. It is rare to find a well written short story that also makes you think. This is one of them. It is an exceptionally well written story that truely evokes a feeling of time and place within the reader. It also makes you aware of the sacrifices that were made by many in the resistance to the German occupation of Norway during the second world war. I worked frequently in both Denmark and Sweden and during those times came into contact with many Norwegieans who had been involved in the resistance. The feeling that I got from them when they spoke about their country is what I get from the story. It is one I certainly recommend anyone to read.

--

Geron Kees tends to write tales which capture the atmosphere of the scene. The quiet, cold, self righteous brutality of the occupying invader provides a steel core around which the story is formed.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The Frost Covered Marker by Geron Kees  [message #73645 is a reply to message #73644] Sat, 18 November 2017 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

What an excellent story! I have worked with Norwegians and have the greatest respect for their professionalism and stoicism.

I thought the author of this story treated the affection between the two boys in a most subtle manner. By not over-egging the physical/emotional side he actually managed to emphasise the growing bond between Nils and Rune. Similarly, by avoiding melodramatic descriptions he somehow made the boys' predicament even more precarious. I found myself reading anxiously to the end, which shows how keenly I had become involved in the story.

Jolyon
Re: The Frost Covered Marker by Geron Kees  [message #73648 is a reply to message #73643] Mon, 20 November 2017 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

"Nigel Gordon wrote on Sat, 18 November 2017 13:55"

--
Thank you to all who wrote such nice responses to The Frost Covered Marker. The story is fiction, but the people who formed the resistance movements in countries throughout the world during WWII were very real. Wars are won by armies, but they are fought by individuals, and uniforms are not a requirement in order to serve one's nation.

It is to those people everywhere, whose lands may have been occupied, but whose spirits refused to be conquered, that this story is dedicated.
Re: The Frost Covered Marker by Geron Kees  [message #73650 is a reply to message #73648] Tue, 21 November 2017 00:23 Go to previous message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

Well said, sir!

My thoughts entirely.

Jolyon
Previous Topic: Solsticeman - Jeff Ellis
Next Topic: Who is reading Rivers of the Dead
Goto Forum: