A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Writing as a Catharsis
Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75513] Sun, 10 February 2019 08:20 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

In another thread we have had this interchange:

"Teddy wrote on Sun, 10 February 2019 01:14"

"timmy wrote on Sat, 09 February 2019 10:17"

Those among you who are curious can have a look inside both the paperback and the Kindle on Amazon to see what on earth I am so proud of. I would like to remind you that writing it was an excellent catharsis. It helped me place my depression/obsession behind me

--
I wish there was a "like button" on this forum, cuz I really like this. I've found writing to be a most wonderful catharsis. 

--

This is, of course, that new thread.

I have known for a very long time about troubles shared being troubles halved. I've also never quite believed it. Sharing a trouble doesn't halve it for me, but it does dilute it. Share it often enough with enough people and it becomes much diminished. We start to be able to set it into perspective.

Way, way back, in the land of long, long ago, I started writing out my troubles and sharing them. You all know I am a gay man living a heterosexual life with a lady I adore. The first time I posted this on a forum I was berated. I was 'not really gay', apparently. He stamped on me. He learned. I stuck to my guns. I know what I am.

That led, over time to this forum where it is genuinely safe to post because I do not tolerate people who stamp on others. I try not to tolerate them by expressing displeasure at their behaviour, not an ad hominem criticism. I Knew that others would gain some solace from writing things down, just as I knew that even more people, the silent ones, would gain some solace from reading without writing, though I wish for them that they would write.

Over time I realised that writing stories also helped. By choice I can not fulfil my dearest wishes physically, but I can write them out. And those that are worth publishing I can publish. I found it was true, that reading what others write acts as a comfort, too. Their acting out in words of their fantasies often chimes with what I hoped, once, to do personally. I also see, on this forum when others are in pain. I like reading the help we bring.. Sometimes they respond, other times not.

I wrote Queer Me! some time ago, which helped a lot. Publishing it properly, assuming self publishing is proper, helped some more

A while ago, online, I met a chap who runs a business of therapy. He was calling for guest writers. His call coincided with my anger. I was angry about a real life something. I wrote it out. It was a scream of consciousness. Not stream. Scream. I have written a few pieces for him since then. If they interest you start at  the end, at the bottom, and work your way up. This is page 2. There may be a page 3 by the time you read this post.

Writing helps. Sharing what we write helps more.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 February 2019 08:21]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75515 is a reply to message #75513] Tue, 12 February 2019 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gray

Getting started

I think that a permanent, easily-found link to www.angliacounselling.co.uk/tag/tim/ should be placed on this site. I've read only one entry so far, but I expect to be returning frequently.
Re: Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75517 is a reply to message #75515] Tue, 12 February 2019 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You could be right, but where does it fit?  I'm glad you found some of it to be interesting. Writing is very useful. Even those who think "But I can not do that" can. I don't mean for publication, not exctly. I mean for themselves, or for a targeted few strangers, perhaps friends, to read.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 February 2019 10:14]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75518 is a reply to message #75517] Tue, 12 February 2019 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

"timmy wrote on Tue, 12 February 2019 00:41"
You could be right, but where does it fit?  I'm glad you found some of it to be interesting. Writing is very useful. Even those who think "But I can not do that" can. I don't mean for publication, not exctly. I mean for themselves, or for a targeted few strangers, perhaps friends, to read.

--I began writing in high school. I had confided in a trusted teacher some of my struggles with the abuse I'd experienced and she suggested that I keep a journal as a therapeutic tool. I followed her advice and found it quite useful. I journaled off and on for years, more as a stream of consciousness thing than anything else. I paid little heed to grammar, punctuation, or literary excellence. And yes, I found it quite cathartic.

It was many years later, after realizing I needed some counseling in order to deal with the demons left me due to the abuse, that I began to attempt writing as a serious hobby and discovered that writing opened up an avenue of creativity that was lacking in my life. For quite a few years I wrote only for myself, other than one story which I submitted to this site for posting. 

I still find that I create my best art when I am in need of catharsis. That's when my creativity is at its best.  

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75519 is a reply to message #75517] Wed, 13 February 2019 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gray

Getting started

"timmy wrote on Tue, 12 February 2019 03:41"
You could be right, but where does it fit?

Yeah, there's not an obviously suitable spot.  Possibly an entry on the "About Me" page?  The writing is about you, after all.  I think these pieces are a valuable resource that deserve some exposure.

--
Re: Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75520 is a reply to message #75519] Wed, 13 February 2019 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm not quite sure how to force them in, though

I'm glad you're finding them useful

Re: Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75521 is a reply to message #75520] Wed, 13 February 2019 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Got it.  I'll let you know!!

Re: Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75522 is a reply to message #75521] Wed, 13 February 2019 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have found a location: Emotional Health.  Good lord. There are 20 pieces there. There are also two more in the pipeline.

Well, I don't just write stories.

Re: Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75550 is a reply to message #75522] Mon, 18 February 2019 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gray

Getting started

Excellent solution!  I think that other readers will find these pieces interesting and possibly helpful.
Re: Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75551 is a reply to message #75550] Mon, 18 February 2019 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

If the pieces cause people to think, that is the best outcome. If they agree or disagree, either works for me. It means they are thinking.

Re: Writing as a Catharsis  [message #75611 is a reply to message #75522] Tue, 12 March 2019 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"timmy wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 21:53"
I have found a location: Emotional Health.  Good lord. There are 20 pieces there. There are also two more in the pipeline.

Well, I don't just write stories.

--
I've added a piece today. It hadn't been my intention to write this piece, but I was asked for it. So I tried to make it slightly more generic than 'buy my book!'

A new piece there  [message #75640 is a reply to message #75611] Thu, 21 March 2019 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have aded a new piece there today. The Importance, or Not, of Sex
I'm tired of vociferous folk telling other folk what they can and cannto be

Re: A new piece there  [message #75694 is a reply to message #75640] Mon, 15 April 2019 12:53 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

A further section is now there on self ghettoisation.

Previous Topic: Copyright issues
Next Topic: Tumblr Account Terminated Unfairly and Without Explanation
Goto Forum: