A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Aims
Aims  [message #75808] Sat, 15 June 2019 10:38 Go to next message
Dominick St James is currently offline  Dominick St James

Toe is in the water

What do writers feel are their aims here? Are we merely story tellers. Do we have responsibilties here, as authors. What are our aims purveying our stories? Should they carry a message? Are we modern day troubadours from the courts of love, or wellfare counsellors? Perhaps a mixture of both?
Re: Aims  [message #75809 is a reply to message #75808] Sat, 15 June 2019 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Well, though resonably deep inthe site, the objectives for it are to attract kids in pain and the adults they become in order that they receive the help they ask for.

A gateway is the stories

[Updated on: Sun, 16 June 2019 22:39]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Aims  [message #75810 is a reply to message #75809] Sun, 16 June 2019 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

"timmy wrote on Sat, 15 June 2019 20:26"
Well, though resonably deep inthe site, the objectives for it are to attraft kids n pain and the adults they become in order that they receove the help they ask for.

A gateway is the stories

--I'm a bit dubious about how effective, fictional story telling is, as a medium for counselling in this genre. And, in fact my view, portrayed in my story/stories here, puts me in direct conflict with the ethos of this story site, as can be read. Otherwise, I have nothing against counselling, especially for gay boys in conflict with themselves and the unfortunate accepted norms of society.

Personally, in fictional writing involving young sexuality, I am unable and unwilling to offer stories as either a counselling medium, a philosophy or an appologia. And I suspect that writers to the contrary, do so to seek a high handed virtue from it, rather than it being effective to its purpose. Please if you wish, therefore remove my story here.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 June 2019 11:09]

Re: Aims  [message #75811 is a reply to message #75810] Sun, 16 June 2019 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Dominick St James wrote on Sun, 16 June 2019 12:09"

"timmy wrote on Sat, 15 June 2019 20:26"
Well, though resonably deep inthe site, the objectives for it are to attraft kids n pain and the adults they become in order that they receove the help they ask for.

A gateway is the stories

--I'm a bit dubious about how effective, fictional story telling is, as a medium for counselling in this genre. And, in fact my view, portrayed in my story/stories here, puts me in direct conflict with the ethos of this story site, as can be read. Otherwise, I have nothing against counselling, especially for gay boys in conflict with themselves and the unfortunate accepted norms of society.

Personally, in fictional writing involving young sexuality, I am unable and unwilling to offer stories as either a counselling medium, a philosophy or an appologia. And I suspect that writers to the contrary, do so to seek a high handed virtue from it, rather than it being effective to its purpose. Please if you wish, therefore remove my story here.

--

I'm reasonably confused now. The stories do not work as any form of counselling, nor have I ever expected them to do so. What I suspect is that you have not yet explored in detail the left hand menu of the site, something that extends way beyoind the stories or the poetry. The stories are the gateway to those site elements in that they attract folk to visit the site for readng pleasure. Some look further into what else is on offer. Of those things, one is this forum. It's been here for years. Deep inside it are posts from people who are hurting, and there are some successes at helping those folk.

At least two suicides have been prevented by direct intervention. At least one couple with sexual difficulties has been together for over a decade because of the sexual advice elements

[Updated on: Sun, 16 June 2019 22:39]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Aims  [message #75812 is a reply to message #75808] Mon, 17 June 2019 17:18 Go to previous message

Toe is in the water

No, in fact, I looked at all the info tab menus first off. I went straight to them to give me a feel about the site, and yes they present a strong therapeutic element, and it's good. But of the stories I've read, I found many are hard nosed and rather dark in outlook. Young gay sex is presented as a guilt ridden curse in many stories, at odds with societies norms. It is true of course that that is a factor of real life. At the other end of the spectrum, is that huge collection of stories by Kiwi, of which I've read every one. They're just fabulously entertaining and sexy, without any hidden agenda.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 June 2019 17:19]

Previous Topic: Les Choristes - The Chorus
Next Topic: Cornhole?
Goto Forum: