A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Discussion on behaviour, split from Faith (etc) thread
Discussion on behaviour, split from Faith (etc) thread  [message #76321] Sat, 30 November 2019 15:04 Go to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

"Mark wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 16:07"

"American_Alex wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 08:24"
The very basis of theism in general is that one group is preferred, while those not a part of that group are shunned.

--

Unfortunatly, those claims are not only the basis of organized religion.  Take a look at the teachings of Hitler, for example. ...

There were others in history who also did horrible things, and none of them did what they did in the name of religion; in fact, some were, at least outwardly, atheists (Stalin, Chairman Mao, and Pol Pot were each responsible for the deaths of millions in the name of nationalism, just as Hitler was, and each opperated under an atheistic political system - communism).

--Oh, dear, Mark, I hope you just mis-spoke there, and aren't actually that ignorant. Adolf Hitler was, as were ALL the fascist leaders of the mid 20th century, Roman Catholic, and at least in public were very pious about it, too; Mussolini, Franco, Dolfuss, Laval, as well as Hitler. Hitler's NSDAP party never achieved a majority; he came to power only because of the support of a couple of conservative Catholic parties. The papacy never took a stance either way, but many, many Cardinals did actively support fascist regimes. You can believe that the Nazi movement was atheistic, but in reality it wasn't.

[Updated on: Sun, 01 December 2019 09:22] by Moderator

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
icon4.gif Re: Faith, Religion, Homosexuality, LGBTQ People, God, Sin  [message #76322 is a reply to message #76321] Sat, 30 November 2019 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Quote:"
I hope you just mis-spoke there, and aren't actually that ignorant.

There are many better ways of saying that, and I'd very much like you to use any of them that is not an ad hominem attack. I am not at all keen on ad hominem attacks on the forum. People have the right to be wrong and you have the right to correct their errors if errors they be, but not in that manner, please.

When I say I am not at all keen on the behaviour, I don't accept it. You make good points, but they are often diluted, perhaps destroyed, by the way you make them. Your approach here means I am no longer interested in the point about Hitler's Roman Catholicism or not because it has become too trying to find the substance after the attack

The post on netiquette applies. Perhaps we should all of us re-acqaint ourselves with it. It is the frameworlk we post within

[Updated on: Sat, 30 November 2019 17:04]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Faith, Religion, Homosexuality, LGBTQ People, God, Sin  [message #76325 is a reply to message #76322] Sat, 30 November 2019 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Sorry, Tim, but it amazes me how often people claim that the fascist leaders of the 30's/40's were atheists, when it's an inconvenient fact that they were not. I'm not sure if this is due actual ignorance, or willful obliviousness. Yes, facism ended up trying to destoy religious institutions, but it did it from within, not from the outside. As bad as communism was, at least they were honest about their disdain for religious institutions. Perhaps if more people were aware of the realities of history, they would see what is happening in the world today.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Faith, Religion, Homosexuality, LGBTQ People, God, Sin  [message #76327 is a reply to message #76325] Sat, 30 November 2019 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"American_Alex wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 21:27"
Sorry, Tim, but it amazes me how often people claim that the fascist leaders of the 30's/40's were atheists, when it's an inconvenient fact that they were not. I'm not sure if this is due actual ignorance, or willful obliviousness. Yes, facism ended up trying to destoy religious institutions, but it did it from within, not from the outside. As bad as communism was, at least they were honest about their disdain for religious institutions. Perhaps if more people were aware of the realities of history, they would see what is happening in the world today.

--

The "Sorry, but" form of words is not helping. It is known as a non-apology apology. It is used to justify the prior action while appearing to apologise for it. It is part of the prior behaviour. Please think about the effect your words have on others, and how they dilute or destroy the points you make. You're making a valid point but you render it to be useless again by the way you make it.

[Updated on: Sat, 30 November 2019 22:46]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon13.gif Re: Discussion on behaviour, split from Faith (etc) thread  [message #76329 is a reply to message #76321] Sun, 01 December 2019 09:15 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

This thread was detracting from the main thrust of the discussion, so I have removed it from there. It was disruptive. I am now locking it. It will go down the threads gradually.

I want to be clear. This is not a discussion. Dispruptive behaviour is a statement by the disruptor that they are choosing not to be here. After a certain amount of that I just enforce their choice. 

I have not had to do this often. I hate having to do it at all.

[Updated on: Sun, 01 December 2019 22:22]

Previous Topic: twin flame??
Next Topic: Does human sexuality exist?
Goto Forum: