A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Running by Cole Parker
Running by Cole Parker  [message #76958] Mon, 01 June 2020 20:56 Go to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

So, in Cole Parker's latest story Running, Xander is the timid junior who's been made the running team captain, and Scott is the enthusiastic freshman who just joined the team.

Xander felt he had to talk to his coach about a likely cheating problem in class. Does that make him a rat fink, or just too ethically sensitive?

Now Xander's seen Sctot jacking off out on a trail run! What does that say about what's going on?

[I've been asked about the picture. It is licenced for use by the author, but not on this site, so I have removed it - timmy]

[Updated on: Tue, 02 June 2020 06:41] by Moderator

Bensiamin
Re: Running by Cole Parker  [message #76960 is a reply to message #76958] Mon, 01 June 2020 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think it says less than one might think. Or, perhaps, more.

Should we turn a blind eye to cheating? There, is the ethical question.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Running by Cole Parker  [message #77012 is a reply to message #76960] Sun, 07 June 2020 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

As if the ethical question about cheating isn't enough, now there's another moral one about a girl on the running team. What possible kinds of complications could arise from this new twist?

Would a coach really turn to a student leader to "sell" this idea to the students on the team?

Bensiamin
Re: Running by Cole Parker  [message #77016 is a reply to message #77012] Sun, 07 June 2020 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I can suspend just sufficient disbelief in this area. When the story is good enough more disbelief can be suspended. This one is good enough and further suspension happens.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Running by Cole Parker  [message #77030 is a reply to message #77016] Tue, 09 June 2020 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Question for readers: Does everyone understand that we're (in the US) in what's known as Title IX territory here?

No reactions to Jensen's comment in Chapter 6, about the team having to dig up the dregs to settle for a girl on the running team, and then she says ""No," she called back, "just memorizing what an asshole looks like. You don't see many walking around in daylight."

Oh, by the way, what does Title IX have to do with a gay fiction story site?

Bensiamin
Re: Running by Cole Parker  [message #77034 is a reply to message #77030] Tue, 09 June 2020 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

"Bensiamin wrote on Tue, 09 June 2020 02:00"
Question for readers: Does everyone understand that we're (in the US) in what's known as Title IX territory here?

No reactions to Jensen's comment in Chapter 6, about the team having to dig up the dregs to settle for a girl on the running team, and then she says ""No," she called back, "just memorizing what an asshole looks like. You don't see many walking around in daylight."

Oh, by the way, what does Title IX have to do with a gay fiction story site?

--
Nope. Not being from the US I can honestly say that I have never heard of Title IX tyerritory. Is it a bit like the Yukon territory?:p 
Re: Running by Cole Parker  [message #77037 is a reply to message #77034] Tue, 09 June 2020 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Per the Education Act of 1972, Title IX is a comprehensive federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity...In addition to traditional educational institutions such as colleges, universities, and elementary and secondary schools, Title IX also applies to any education or training program operated by a recipient of federal financial assistance.

Since most schools in the US receive federal funding in one way or another (for high schools it could just be funding for school lunch programs), if they receive the funding they must comply with the law. So, this is the basis of Jensen's argument that the law says if there isn't a girls team she can join the boy's team, and in the recent meet, that if there isn't a girl's locker room she can use the boys.

Cole's is a rather creative use of the legal reality to introduce a novel character who uses Title IX to achieve her goal, and then switches her motivation and behavior once she actually gets into the shower with the boy's team...and then we find out that the real motivation behind supporting her and letting her into the boy's shower was none other than Xander...the young man so concerned with cheating!

Bensiamin
Re: Running by Cole Parker  [message #77040 is a reply to message #77037] Tue, 09 June 2020 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cole parker is currently offline  cole parker

Toe is in the water

"Bensiamin wrote on Tue, 09 June 2020 14:51"
we find out that the real motivation behind supporting her and letting her into the boy's shower was none other than Xander...the young man so concerned with cheating!

--Xander did complain about the cheating, but it wasn't because of the lack of moral rectitude involved in the  situation as has been suggested here.  He brought it up to preclude his own possible involvement in any punishments that might be handed out if the cheaters were caught.  Specifically, he didn't want his grade in that class lowered; he needs a scholarship to get into college, and failing that class would put a serious dent in that ambition. 

Gee.  I thought I'd explained that in the text!  :)

C
Re: Running by Cole Parker  [message #77042 is a reply to message #77040] Tue, 09 June 2020 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

"cole parker wrote on Tue, 09 June 2020 08:21"
Gee.  I thought I'd explained that in the text!  :)

--
Just to put your mind at ease, Cole, I did pick up on it Wink

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Running by Cole Parker  [message #77048 is a reply to message #77042] Wed, 10 June 2020 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cole parker is currently offline  cole parker

Toe is in the water

"Teddy wrote on Tue, 09 June 2020 22:34"

"cole parker wrote on Tue, 09 June 2020 08:21"
Gee.  I thought I'd explained that in the text!  

--
Just to put your mind at ease, Cole, I did pick up on it 

--That's exactly what we writer's like: perspicacious readers! :)

C
Re: Running by Cole Parker  [message #77584 is a reply to message #77048] Sun, 10 January 2021 04:38 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

just began to read the story. But so far, I have not got to the point of the cheating yet. I am reading some short stories on an other site as well. I noticed that some of your characters have a disability: Down's syndrom, speech impediment, wheelchair bound. You now have me hooked onto your stories. Hoping to have read all your stories by springtime.
Previous Topic: Anyone bored?
Next Topic: Looking for a Beta Readers
Goto Forum: