A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Aspiring writer
Aspiring writer  [message #77664] Wed, 24 March 2021 18:58 Go to next message
Shazamboi is currently offline  Shazamboi

Getting started

Well, to be honest I've been thinking about posting my story I'm just not certain whether it's good enough. Would anyone like to take a peek at it? It's not entirely sexual, more psychological drama. I'd love some input. 
Re: Aspiring writer  [message #77681 is a reply to message #77664] Sat, 27 March 2021 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Well, I think only Timmy can be the one to tell you if he's willing to post the story here but that said that, I'm willing to beta read it for you if you don't mind it being a couple weeks before I get back to you. Life is busy right now and my reading time is limited. Just inbox me with it if you'd like me to look at it. 😊

One thing to keep in mind when putting something so personal as your creative art out there for someone to read is that constructive criticism is not the same thing as rejection. The first time I ever submitted a story to Timmy for this site he rejected it, at least as I had presented it to him. He told me why, said why, and without telling me what to do, suggested ways to make it something he could post. I took his comments as educational, change my story in ways that greatly improved it. It's here on the site now. 

[Updated on: Sat, 27 March 2021 00:35]

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Aspiring writer  [message #77688 is a reply to message #77681] Sat, 27 March 2021 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I rarely reject a tale outright. I can't rememebr the last time I did. I beleive that soneone has taken the time to wrote a story and risked another opnion on it (mine) so they deserve to know why, at least in the form submitted, it misses its place on this site. As with yours. if they choose to follow the advice and re-present it I will read it as a new piece and make a new decision. I have the ability to forget I have read a tale if it doesn't work for me or the site.

My main acceptance criterion is that a story paints a picture in my head that I want to see. That doesn't mean everything has to come up roses. Nor does it mean that taboo or difficult topics shoudl be avoided. Have a look at Jack Rowan's tale here as an example that will by no means be to everyone's taste, but tells, for me, an important story. Jack and I agreed that I would not go anywhere near its colleague tale about the same universe. i read it to determine if ot could be here, and it could not.

There are three ways of reading a story for me.
  • Reader - for enjoyment
  • Publisher - does it work for this site?
  • Literary criticism - I do this very rarely and am out of practice. It can be a destructive orocess, especially for a new author.

I find I can only read a story in one mode. Fortunately the first two have a substantial overlap.

I read all tales sent to me. I tell folk why they have missed the site's needs if they have. I try very hard never to be dismissive. They have put the work in. Even a pure wank-fest takes work. I try to repay that work

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Aspiring writer  [message #77689 is a reply to message #77664] Sat, 27 March 2021 22:51 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Shazamboi wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 18:58"
Well, to be honest I've been thinking about posting my story I'm just not certain whether it's good enough. Would anyone like to take a peek at it? It's not entirely sexual, more psychological drama. I'd love some input. 

--
When you are ready, take that step. To this site or to another, or to a beta reader. But get the oxygen of another reader onto it

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Lost in the cloud
Next Topic: Trump Laugh of the Week
Goto Forum: