A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Effigy (by Geron Kees)
Effigy (by Geron Kees)  [message #77999] Wed, 11 August 2021 13:03 Go to next message
chanter is currently offline  chanter

Getting started

Such a cool surprise to see a new and unexpected short from Geron today, and it does not disappoint.

Effigy just confirms the stylistic breadth that Geron is capable of.  The story drew me in completely right from the very first paragraph and is a truly compelling read. I found myself having to slow myself down while reading, making sure that I could take in everything Michael saw and thought. For me a large part of of work has the feel of an inner dialogue, processing everything around.

So again, thank you to Geron for such an impressive work, and confirming the breadth of styles you are capable of working in so very well.
icon14.gif Re: Effigy (by Geron Kees)  [message #78000 is a reply to message #77999] Wed, 11 August 2021 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Biff Spork is currently offline  Biff Spork

Getting started

I agree completely with Chanter's remarks about "Effigy." It's a brilliant story, original, unique and surprising and yet perfectly believable and satisfying. 

Consider becoming vegan. It's good for your health. It's kind and respectful to other animals. It's a good way to make an individual gesture towards averting the climate crisis. It's easy - if a lazy degenerate like me can do it, anyone can.
Re: Effigy (by Geron Kees)  [message #78001 is a reply to message #78000] Wed, 11 August 2021 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Linking Effigy would be sweet. 

Just  type its name, highlight it, and use the 6th icom from the right and add the url. Adding blank urls has some sort of bug in it, so is not recommended, but works, kind of.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Effigy (by Geron Kees)  [message #78004 is a reply to message #77999] Thu, 12 August 2021 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

Thanks, guys. It's been a while since I did something a little more serious. I love the sci-fi stuff, but sometimes that isn't the mood.

Things are tough in the world just now. Being gay has never been easy, but it's under heavy fire at the moment, even as great strides ahead are being made in many places. The number of countries cracking down on the LGBTQ communities in their midsts is alarming. A lot of people are afraid.

Anything we can do to push awareness, we should do. Even 'just words' can help. No one should have to live in fear of anything.
Re: Effigy (by Geron Kees)  [message #78005 is a reply to message #78004] Thu, 12 August 2021 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

I have to second all the comments made so far about Effigy. The word that came to mind when I finished was masterful!

As Chanter pointed out, the interior dialogue is tremendous, as are the psychological dimensions that are explored by the main character, with just enough philosophy thrown in for good measure.

Not to be overlooked is that the story is engaging and compellng with a story line that pulls the reader right in and keeps the pages turning they're finished.

Then, to Geron's credit, there are the couple of plot twists and the sweet human dimension of the ending.

Bravo! 

Bensiamin
Re: Effigy (by Geron Kees)  [message #78007 is a reply to message #78005] Fri, 13 August 2021 04:44 Go to previous message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

Thank you, Ben! Smile

Previous Topic: In Skater's Time
Next Topic: The Works of Geron Kees
Goto Forum: