A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > A Conversation With Carlton
A Conversation With Carlton  [message #78162] Tue, 05 October 2021 17:17 Go to next message
ThisRick is currently offline  ThisRick

Getting started

A Conversation With Carlton is a remarkable story. It's one of the best stories I've encountered on any gay story site. It goes beyond being well written. This story is as good as any I've read in the literary magazines I've subscribed to over the years.

For me, what takes it beyond just being a good story is that although I share few details with the protagonist's life, the essence is my story. The failure of the adults in a young child's life, being a male attracted to other males in a time when it was unheard of and perilous if pursued, having a few adults outside my family provide some succor, awareness of being on one's own early in life, all of these are my experience as well, despite the differences in detail. That he also begins to recognize how what he has been through has had a negative effect on his relationships with others is a bonus, though I was much older when I began to understand what it meant to me.

The story is a reminder of how our diverse experiences can have a core of shared life.

The final gift of A Conversation With Carlton is what a good writer can accomplish: making me feel known even though I've never met the author.

Thank you, Rick Beck, for creating and publishing this work.

http://iomfats.org/storyshelhosted/beck/a-conversation-with- carlton/01.html
Re: A Conversation With Carlton  [message #78163 is a reply to message #78162] Tue, 05 October 2021 20:55 Go to previous message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

There was a typo in the link. Here's the fixed link.
http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/beck/a-conversation-wit h-carlton/01.html

[Updated on: Tue, 05 October 2021 20:57]

Previous Topic: Tim and Ross
Next Topic: New story challenge?
Goto Forum: