A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Article about John Boswell
Article about John Boswell  [message #78438] Sun, 01 January 2023 17:36 Go to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

Some, but probably not all, are aware fo the life and work of John Boswell. For those still trying to reconcile Christian faith and homosexuality, understanding the academic work and the life of John Boswell are really important. 

A new article posted today on Medium by Jonathan Poletti that is very well written and covers the scope and impact of Boswell's work in excellent fashion. Like most of us, even those that went to seminary (LOL!!) he was little known in his time. Poletti begins:

Boswell's book was famous in its day. I never heard about him in church. Only later did I get wind of the genius Medievalist at Yale University who'd devoted his brief existence to a single task: changing the religion's ideas on sex.

He then goes on to describe the work and life Boswell lived as an out gay Christian scholar. You should only need to know this historical fact that Boswell demonstrated to be interested in his work:

"Prior to the 13th century, homosexuality was not viewed negatively by the church."

You can read the piece on Medium by clicking here.

Quote:

[Updated on: Sun, 01 January 2023 17:41]

Bensiamin
Re: Article about John Boswell  [message #78441 is a reply to message #78438] Wed, 04 January 2023 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

This was a good article, well worth the time it takes to read. Thanks!
Re: Article about John Boswell  [message #78469 is a reply to message #78438] Tue, 07 February 2023 02:37 Go to previous message
SAW is currently offline  SAW

Getting started

Excellent read. I find it sad that he passed at such a young age as it makes me wonder with having such a brilliant mind how much of an impact he could have continued on
Previous Topic: Is The Church of England Really Still Homophobic?
Next Topic: A Message from Nigel Gordon to his readers
Goto Forum: