A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Mailings and outbound email blocks
Mailings and outbound email blocks  [message #68127] Fri, 15 November 2013 09:37 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

The IP space occupied by our server has been blocklisted by Spamhaus. You may wish to look up 'Snowshoe spam" to see that someone has been compromised. The usual reaction by Spamhaus is pretty much the same as the reaction by the now allegedly defunct SPEWS 'organisation', which is to widen the spam block until the service provider takes notice and kicks off the offending site.

We only operate white hat mailing lists and opt in services to this and our other sites, so we are certain we cannot be to blame, though we have been the genuine victim of Snowshoe attacks. That is what the fake spammy registrations are in this forum and on the Mediawiki powered sites we run. We've shut the MW sites down for any changes during this blocklisting, and we have made the decision to shut right off our iom email list for the duration. Even though it is confirmed opt in and 100% compliant we don't want to get into the state of having to explain what we do over and over again to the block operators.

It really aggravates me that genuine people suffer because of the need to block the black hat operators. It affects 253 IP addresses. When we inspected who is on the IP range we see that many are not the most wonderful of sites!

[Updated on: Fri, 15 November 2013 09:40]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message