A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Ron - RIP
Ron - RIP  [message #69195] Thu, 05 March 2015 21:48 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I learned today that my friend Ron died in January. He was 59.

Ron used to post here. I'm not sure what to say...

I met him two or three times, in Stamford Connecticut, where I used to go on business. We spent some evenings together. He was a self effacing man, kind, gentle, a firm friend. He lived for classical music, something he was an acknowledged authority on. As happens over time our friendship remained strong, but our communication dwindled. Ron was a gay man who was so afraid of being out that he lived and died without companionship, save for loving parents who died before him.

Once, when he and I met up, he drove me to meet another friend. After that trip I had always expected a car wreck to carry Ron off, not illness. Ron is the only person I know who, while concentrating on the job of driving his car, left the freeway by accident and rejoined it at the same junction, looking as if this was a perfectly normal thing to have done.

When I heard, this morning, of his death I half expected him to rejoin the freeway of life by this evening.

He'd have liked that thought.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message