A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Pædophile scandals in the UK
Pædophile scandals in the UK  [message #69308] Wed, 18 March 2015 18:28 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have, here a huge scandal about the sexual abuse of children by the self styled great and good, by authority figures, by significant authority figures at the highest levels in the police, security services and government. None of this is any particular surprise, nor is the massive cover up that is presumed to have happened. Power corrupts. How tempting it must be to have sufficient power to do whatever you like, secure in the knowledge that you can hush it all up with a phone call.

What keeps upsetting me about this, apart from the fact that any children were abused at all, is that the reports show they were all boys, linking once again the idea in the mind of the public that a child abuser is also homosexual. No, I do not wish they had also abused girls. Yet what I do wish is that they had been equal opportunity abusers. This is an ethical and moral paradox and quandary.

I am, however, reminded that it is safer to abuse boys because you cannot get girls pregnant.

And yet this does not hold true in one of our other (of many) scandals about the grooming of girls by what seem to be communities where women and girls are seen as chattels, property. These have abused girls on an industrial scale, perhaps driven by their scant regard for the rights of women.

Want some background? Google the words UK abuse scandals. We have a lot of kids who were abused, and a large number of heads that may roll because of it.

Now, I have an ethical dilemma for you in this context. A very good friend is proud and happy that he, as a young teenager, in around 1966 here, when homosexuality was not lawful at all, had a mutually happy sexual relationship with his scoutmaster. The law defines this as abuse. He would be horrified to have his lover described as an abuser, and to be described as a victim.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 March 2015 23:40]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message