A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A time for reaffirmation
 () 1 Vote
A time for reaffirmation   [message #69900] Sun, 12 July 2015 10:16 Go to previous message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

An open letter to the membership:

I have always thought some gay people had unique qualities in the arts because they were alienated from the culture at large, not because being gay was special.

But you are right, with the move to main stream many have become just regular folk.

The forum is the heart beat of a site.  It is what draws people in because they feel like they can be a part of it.  You might have to do some PR here.  A sycophant is only a sycophant when they are found out, but something is better than nothing.

From what I have discovered from writer sites is that, me included, they all want acknowledgement, they want to see their stuff in print and they desperately want feed-back and just a little stroking.  For this they must give back a little and support each other.  

Timmy, I can see that you have worked very hard because you are always there to add to a thread and prime it with a post but you need help from your core group. Show them this letter,  

When you first started out, gay issues especially with youth were important and constituted a good deal of your base.  What has changed is that middle class and above are enjoying tolerance and acceptance and even marriage.  They still need help and understanding.

But, what has also changed, maybe more in the US, is a huge increase in grinding poverty, chromic unemployment and homeless gay youth from single parent homes and laws that criminalize gay youth and it is getting worse.  In spite of all that, they will be online using cheap hand-helds and we need to hear from them. Stop for a minute and try to imagine yourself homeless. It can be crushing.

When you started this site, it was because you wanted to help. Well, here it is.

Larkin

[Updated on: Sun, 12 July 2015 10:23]

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message