A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Dangerous complacency
Dangerous complacency  [message #69910] Mon, 13 July 2015 08:46 Go to previous message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

In England in 1967, when homosexuality was partially decriminalised, I doubt that the average gay teenager would have expected that within his lifetime there would be a law allowing gay couples the equality of marriage. It might have been something to be desired and hoped for, but not something to be expected.

We must beware of dangerous complacency, though.

Probably, the average gay teenager of today would think it impossible or at least very unlikely that such gains in equality could be lost again within his lifetime. Yet there are possible scenarios which could cause gay people in England to be worse off than they were before 1967.

For example, here is just one possible such scenario.

In predominantly muslim countries today homosexuality is a crime which is severely punished, sometimes even involving the death penalty. The current demographics, e.g. of birth rate and immigration, indicate that within the lifetime of a modern teenager the majority of voters in England could be muslim. Thus there is at least a possibility that a parliament elected at such a time would recriminalise homosexuality.

So, although it would be nice to believe that in England we have almost won the battle equality and a degree of safety, we mustn't allow wishful thinking and complacency to lead us into assuming that the war is over.

Kit

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: This Be The Verse By Philip Larkin
Next Topic: Who shares my first sexual experience?
Goto Forum:

[ RSS ]