A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Strange "Reset Password" Process!
Strange "Reset Password" Process!   [message #71199] Mon, 07 March 2016 00:58 Go to previous message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

Ok, I admit, maybe I'm not the brightest tool in the box. But Timmy, I have to say that the process for resetting a password on IOM was almost toe curling to the point where I got keyboard rage.

After doing a junk sweep of my computer today I accidently wiped all my saved passwords. So because I had some weird one on here I had to try and guess what it was. Nope Couldn't remember!

I hit the forgotten password link and was informed I will receive an e-mail shortly - which I do. I click on the email and am given some instructions that in a nutshell tell me to click on a link to reset. So I click on this link and arrive back at the sign in page where it is asking me to input my password again. What password? I haven't been given one yet? So I try again, pressing forgotten password... bla bla rinse and repeat. I go back to my e-mails and now find two e-mails. One which gives me a new random password and another which is like the first one, with a link. Ahh, I think, I now have my new password. So I take my random password copy it and return to the home page. Nope, site will not play ball and tells me it's wrong. GRRRRR!

10 minutes and 6 repeats pass..........................................

So I've worked it out. You actually get two e-mails. The first with a link to reset - This essentially does nothing and is a waste of time. It's purpose is unknown. The second is what you need, the one with the random password on it. Because, if you are a fool like me and press on the link, then think it hasn't done anything, your natural response is to press the forgot password link again which essentially makes the first random password expire. As a fool this led me to go around and around in circles for ages.

Please Timmy, my sanity depends on it, please make this easier, I thought I was locked out for life! 

[Updated on: Mon, 07 March 2016 01:19] by Moderator

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: Recommendations pretty please :3