A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Server migration - Outages
Server migration - Outages  [message #71748] Thu, 07 July 2016 07:08 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Over the next couple of weeks there is very likely to be total disruption to our server. Our service provider is having to migrate all hosted servers to another data centre. The current data centre is ceasing trading.

Experience of moves like this says it will not go smoothly, however well planned and executed. This is a service interruption we could all do without, but can't be helped

What you can expect:

* Random period of outage, could be up to several days
* Withdrawal symptoms from reading our wonderful authors and stories
* Emails to us are likely to bounce. Email systems are designed to be robust and retry behind the scenes, but the outage may exceed the retry period.
* We wil have a new IP address for our email server. We will thus inherit that IP address's blocklist status. It may be clean, or we may need to fight to clean it. Outbound emails are likely to be disrupted

We will use Twitter to keep you posted if we have the problems we expect. See https://twitter.com/iomfats  You have no need to join twitter nor to follow us on twitter to see the tweets.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: A Little Visual Art :)