A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The House of Storms, by Geron Kees
The House of Storms, by Geron Kees  [message #73277] Fri, 25 August 2017 06:57 Go to previous message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

Once again, Geron Kees has a winner of a short story!  I liked the "homage" to the Hardy Boys Detective Stories I read in the 1950s and 1960s, before the earlier books began to be "updated."  Our family had a box of books which included 25 of the ORIGINAL Hardy Boys books, some Nancy Drew, and a few of various other books.  I read the Hardy Boys and the Nancy Drew, and this story fits the mood of the originals.  Well done, Geron!

the story had elements of more than one of the old books.  Great to see some of the forties and fifties terminology used here, yet arranged so even those born much more recently than I am (I grew up in the 50s and 60s) could understand and enjoy the story.  The same-sex interests were well done, and realistically with attitudes from the 40s and 50s and 50s.  Geron, you even managed to capture the somewhat more rural atmosphere of that time, when needed, as well.

I thought you might have gone into some other elements as well, such as exploring Joe and Frank having to pretend to like the girls in a differing way than they did.  But that would have made the story longer, and wasn't really necessary.  Should you ever do a couple of sequels, that might be pursued a bit.  

Hopefully, soon a sequel to The Odd, Onward Door will appear, and perhaps a new Charlie Boone story? (Hint, hint.)

Another good and enjoyable story.   Well done, Geron.  I heartily recommend The House of Storms.

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message