A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Homosexuality is not the preserve of the white races
 () 1 Vote
Homosexuality is not the preserve of the white races  [message #73915] Sun, 21 January 2018 10:27 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

At one point, perhaps still today, the Nifty Archive presented, may still present, race that is not white as a fetish in its tales. "Inter-racial" was, is, the category.

We know, because we are human beings first and foremost, with homosexuality or bisexuality very far down on the list of our personal attributes, that sexualities are universal. It may be that we are attracted broadly to those who look like we do. That makes a Chino-ethnic type less likely to be attracted to an Afro-ethnic type, if correct. I may have invented these terms. I intend them to be neutral, not an expression of some form of bias for or against.

Stories online reflect, generally, this 'white races are the homosexual/bisexual races' bias, something I have long found abhorrent. And yet I find races not my own, with notable exceptions, to be unattractive to me, a personal thing I have known without analysing it for some time. Thus I ought not to be surprised that my site attracts those like me, the white, and privileged because we are white, gay male.

While I am not surprised I am perturbed. Yes, the site is written in English, but English is widespread, so where are the stories about African teenage romance, about Malay, about Chinese, about Japanese, about Indian, about Maori, about other indigenous and displaced races in possessed nations? And those are but a few examples of absences.

I know one author, elsewhere, who is a single, gay, black man. He proves that inter-racial attraction exists. He adores blue eyed blond white heroes. He could, of course, write about back heroes, but he is not attracted to them. And yet he fears that the white heroes in his head will not be attracted to him in the body he inhabits.

"Ok, then, timmy, write a story about a couple of Chinese lads!"

If I tried it would not ring true. I write about what I adore.

Where, then, are the authors who will submit a romance in a non white environment? What about the proud history of homosexuality in the Persia of Alexander the Great? And yet the great Mary Renault also submerged that into whiteness. Bagoas may have not been white, but he was whitened in the stories.

All I want from a story is that it creates a picture in my mind that I wish to see. That picture is about the love, the romance. I can count on the fingers of one hand the tales sent to me that contain a non white character. Where they have met the standards they have been published. Find them and list them in a reply here, linking to them [use the icon in the edit window to associate the url with the name of the tale], and show those to us. But where are the others?

[Updated on: Sun, 21 January 2018 23:01]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message icon10.gif
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: We are to lose an author to happiness!
Next Topic: We Lift Them Up To The Lord
Goto Forum:

[ RSS ]