A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Operation Christmas Child / Samaritans Purse
Operation Christmas Child / Samaritans Purse  [message #75209] Wed, 21 November 2018 18:33 Go to previous message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Yet again, "Operation Christmas Child" is doing it's "shoebox" thing herein Worcester and throughout the UK. Allegedly a charity to give gifts to underprivileged kids, it is fact a fundamentalist evangelical organisation using gifts as a cover for proselytising. I consider it despicable for the way it cons schoolkids - especially Prinary School kids - into giving without making it clear what they're contributing to.

The are very many other worthwhile charities, which are well worth supporting all year round, not just at Christmas. Personally, I'll be upping what I donate to our local food-bank for Christmas, but there are many many other worthwhile ways of supporting needy kids.

For a bit about the background, and suggestions for other causes to support, https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/humanists-do ing/good-causes-and-charities/samaritans-purse/

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: Much as I hate the term...
Next Topic: Is this a real milestone?
Goto Forum:

[ RSS ]