A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Caped-Crusader Caper
The Caped-Crusader Caper  [message #78214] Fri, 17 December 2021 18:51 Go to previous message
cole parker is currently offline  cole parker

Toe is in the water

This wonderful story takes me back some.  I'm a golden-ager.  I grew up with that era's superheroes, and talking about this gives me the opportunity to get something off my chest.  Superman was okay.  But Captain Marvel was the nuts.  Great comics.  I remember them being ten-cents an issue back in the late 40s, early 50s.  And Captain Marvel was much better than Superman. Superman was always Superman, even when wearing a suit and glasses.  Captain Marvel was usually Billy Batson, boy reporter, and he was very human.  Therefore, he was very real and vulnerable, whereas Superman had to be afflicted with all this make-believe crap, like Kryptonite, to be assailed.  What nonsense!  Dr. Sevannah(sp?) could work his evil ways at Billy, and Billy had to be clever and brave and lucky to escape and be able to call on his gods, whose names all began with a letter in the word Shazam, to lightning-bolt him into his Captain Marvel form. 
     I can still remember the marvelous (excuse me, I coudn't resist) issue where the god tossing the lightning bolt at Billy had a sore arm and couldn't throw the bolt accurately, making Billy's impending peril even more likely.  Great stuff.
    Captain Marvel rocked.  Superman?  Ugh.
    Thanks, Geron.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 December 2021 18:53]

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: Hitch
Next Topic: Juggling the pieces