A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Young people in England and Wales twice as likely to identify as LGB+
Young people in England and Wales twice as likely to identify as LGB+  [message #78460] Thu, 26 January 2023 17:52 Go to previous message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

The results of the sexuality question in the last England & Wales Census have been released. "The proportion of people who identified as LGB+ was highest (6.9%) among people aged 16 to 25 and then decreased with each successive age group to 0.4% in people aged 75 and over", as The Guardian puts it in an excellent article. I find this very encouraging, though I think we've probably still got a way to go before everyone feels free to answer in the way they do actually feel, even though the census is private.

Over the years, I've seen wildly different guessimates of the LGB+ percentage of the population - ranging from 0.5% to over 15%. Both extremes, predictably, from people or organisations with strong ideological positions! I've tended to work on a personal guess of around 7.5%, for no very explicit reason.

The full census report and access to datasets is here.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: God's Pronouns Are They/Them
Next Topic: I have received my first ever Sextortion email!
Goto Forum:

[ RSS ]