A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > The USA's Silent Holocaust
The USA's Silent Holocaust  [message #64873] Mon, 15 November 2010 00:25 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Do you remember Jay McDowell? Well, you won;t know who Graeme Taylor is either, then.

Jay was suspended on 20th October for a disciplinary offence in his role as a teacher.

Graeme spoke up for him at the school board meeting.

There are two short videos. I very much doubt anyone will get bored by them.

http://tinyurl.com/38agar3

In the first Graeme, 14, Gay, refers to the USA's Silent Holocaust. What are your thoughts about that?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The USA's Silent Holocaust  [message #64875 is a reply to message #64873] Mon, 15 November 2010 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

My first thoughts are that Graeme Taylor is a brave young man, well spoken and a person who will grow up to become a proud gay man.

I doubt if there are many 14 year olds who could step up like that and speak their minds in a room filled with adults. No matter the outcome for the teacher, Graeme had assumed the role of the educator in that teachable moment we hear so much about.

The others at his school who feel that homosexuals are immoral beings are engaged in little more than Christian bullying, for what right does anyone have to pass judgement on this boy or any other LBGT student?

It is all too common that the secular scool system allows Christian messages to flourish despite the Constitutional separation of church and state. But like the haters, Graeme exercised his right to free speech.

I do hope his parents feel the same pride I do when I viewed his little speech. I can only imagine that he must feel loved and supported at home. But like many others I will wait to see if there is any stupid reaction to his open message. The boy deserves the support of the community for his actions, and he has earned our applause.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
icon3.gif Re: The USA's Silent Holocaust  [message #64876 is a reply to message #64873] Mon, 15 November 2010 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

I watched this twice. Once alone, once with my partner. He's younger than me. As we watched this video, I looked over and saw my partner crying, near the end of the film. Nothing dramatic, nothing earthshaking, just a few tears rolling down his cheek.

When I asked him what he was crying for, he looked at me like I had kicked him and then asked if it hurt. Very softly, and with a lot of humility in his voice, the man I love said, "that little boy just stood up to the town that let's the KKK call their home. And he just told the whole world he's gay. He's the bravest person I ever heard of. And I was ashamed of myself and proud for him. Proud of him."

Silent Holocaust. It is a powerful image. A quiet fire meant to burn something down to bare ash, burn down so fine that even science couldn't tell what was burnt. A fire that powerful, that large and hot, would surely roar like a tornado, creating winds all its own, and create enough heat and light that it could be felt for miles away, seen even with your eyes tightly shut.

So this video left me with two very powerful images. One, the destruction and craziness being heaped at our young gay brothers just for being whom they discover themselves to be, and the bravery we need to fight that destruction and craziness. The bravery to be who we are despite the fire.

We aren't silent anymore. We aren't going to go quietly, as the world let the Nazis do to the European Jews, and Gypsies, and homosexuals, and the mentally and physically handicapped in the Holocaust of World War Two. In the words of another generation of gays who also fought for their rights, and still do:

We're here! We're Queer! We will not disappear!

Well done, Graeme Taylor! You may only be one voice, one small voice, but you have shown us the way. It will take sure self assuredness, such willingness to make your voice heard, and that depth of compassion and common sense that you showed in stating your case to that school board to make progress against those who would just rather we didn't exist. You are still young, and entitled to grow up just like any of us, but you have definitely pointed us all towards the right path.

It's an uphill climb, my brothers, but top of the hill is in sight. Just remember, it's the last ten meters that's the hardest part of the climb.

Graeme was right about one other thing. Just like how he was there to support teacher Jay McDowell, fighting indifference, bullying and ignorance takes support. We all have to support each other. Hopefully, that's what we do here. Not just we older members who try to keep the information flowing, but to those who come here looking for advice and enocouragement, and to those who need to understand more about themselves in order to know if our path is the right one for them.

Thank you Graeme, and thank you Jay, for both standing up for what is right.

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
Re: The USA's Silent Holocaust  [message #64885 is a reply to message #64876] Tue, 16 November 2010 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

I couldn't help but feel the spirit of Harvey Milk. If such a thing exists, maybe this wonderfully well spoken young man is Harvey's reincarnation.

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Graeme Taylor - the next episode  [message #64988 is a reply to message #64873] Tue, 23 November 2010 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

[Edited to use the embed code. If it's there please use it - timmy]

[Updated on: Tue, 23 November 2010 23:27] by Moderator

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Graeme Taylor - the next episode  [message #64989 is a reply to message #64988] Wed, 24 November 2010 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

If someone teaches me about the embed code, I'll use it willingly.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Graeme Taylor - the next episode  [message #64990 is a reply to message #64989] Wed, 24 November 2010 11:01 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Look on youtube for the embed option.

Copy the code

Paste it here.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Dieux du Stade 2011 Rugby Calendar
Next Topic: Association of British Muslims
Goto Forum: